Spinfisher V review by Alan Hawk

Started by paal, February 07, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/spf.html

I must admit I'm a bit surprised... Very useful information for Penn I would believe. Hope they will be making some upgrades if it turns out to be an issue with more than a few initial reels.....

Irish Jigger

Just finished servicing my USA Penn Spinfisher 6500SS and 7500SS (with the real bronze gears) ;)   Got to say I am feeling pretty smug having  read Alan Hawk's review of the Chinese models. ;)
Any offers guys for the Real McCoy? ;D

paal

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 07, 2013, 10:51:05 PM
Just finished servicing my USA Penn Spinfisher 6500SS and 7500SS (with the real bronze gears) ;)   Got to say I am feeling pretty smug having  read Alan Hawk's review of the Chinese models. ;)
Any offers guys for the Real McCoy? ;D
Yes, I would like to offer you 10lbs of halibut filet, plus a Slammer 560. The Slammer is kind of an upgraded Spinfisher V: without the gaskets, so water that gets inside the gearbox can actually get out again  :D

Irish Jigger

Wow! 10lbs of lovely Norwegian halibut fillets, that's an offer worth considering. Don't know that I would want the Slammer however. Will think about it. ;D

paal

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 08, 2013, 08:50:42 AM
Wow! 10lbs of lovely Norwegian halibut fillets, that's an offer worth considering. Don't know that I would want the Slammer however. Will think about it. ;D
:D
Don't know what would be more practical, but an option is that you fly over and I serve it the Norwegian way, with cucumber salad and potatoes :)

I wonder what happened with those drag numbers and that brass pinion.... Seems like such a basic mechanical thing. I'm sure that threads in brass is a well known equation for mechanical engineers. And if they don't learn that stuff in school anymore, I'm sure there is a computer program they can buy that calculates it for them.

But I guess it could also be the marketing folks not really listening to the engineers. I see that often :)

Or, a case of inferior brass, maybe? I suppose it's possible to also find inferior brass in China these days.....

Edit: about the Slammer, it is fully Tanized including packed bearings, and a round power handle knob from Dawn. Just so you know.....  ;)

Irish Jigger

I might take up your offer paal now that you have mentioned the cucumber salad and potatoes. First experienced that beautiful dressing when in Norway and can still taste the white wine vinegar and the salmon. Must try it with halibut. ;D Sorry but I can't say the same for your Fiskeboller. ;)

Regarding the brass pinion thread failures,I have been told that these reels are mechanically assembled and may well be the cause of this particular failure. Sadly all that glitters is not gold and Penn need to restore public confidence in this much publicised family of reels.

paal

Anytime, just give me a call when you're in the neighborhood :)

I remember eating the salmon with cucumber salad too. Now it's all farmed salmon, so I didn't taste that in many years. But for me, halibut is just as good a replacement for Sunday dinners :)

I'm sorry you had to eat fiskeboller. But I guess it's something to tell the grandkids about some day ;)

Irish Jigger

Quote from: paal on February 14, 2013, 01:50:50 PM
Anytime, just give me a call when you're in the neighborhood :)

I'm sorry you had to eat fiskeboller. But I guess it's something to tell the grandkids about some day ;)

Thank'd paal for your kind offer, may get back over to your beautiful country again and enjoy some fishing there.
I have already warned the grandkids about the fiskeboller (fish balls?.) ;D