Shimano reel HELP

Started by Dunedin1, February 07, 2013, 11:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunedin1

OK, I admit this is my first reel attempt but, it looked so easy in Alan's photos!

I decided to buy a new Shimano TLD15/30S after reading the forum... I needed a good basic reel for near shore.
I bought the drag upgrade and bearings but, I'm stuck at the beginning. I totally trashed the spool shaft bushing trying to get it out!

Do I need a special tool? Where to get one? BTW, coat hangers dont work along with screwdrivers. I mangled that brass.
Please help before I end up drilling thru the other side and wacking it out with a hammer!

Also, the bearings I bought have shields, is there a trick to removing these to make them open style?
Thanks,
-Alan

alantani

make a basic bearing puller.  with the bushing out, you can install a bearing.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dunedin1

Thanks, Ill try to grind something down this weekend.

Dunedin1

I did manage to get the bearing out, anybody willing to tell me the secret to getting the shields off those bearings?

Thanks,
-Alan

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dunedin1

Interesting, thanks. Ill try a fish hook, those I have!

alantani

this is the, um, steep part of the learning curve......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I use a dental pick that I sharpen down to a flat sharp point because I was getting tired of getting stuck with a fish hook.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Speaking of dental picks, I recently picked up a nice assortment of picks from a dentist friend.... I can't believe I went this long without them  ;)

Besides being my favorite tool for removing bearing shields, I also have a new favorite bearing puller:

Dunedin1

Guess that was why I always just went fishing and sent my reels out for upgrades!
Anyhow, got them put back again and they seem to work.
Best of all, I learned alot this weekend!
Thanks guys.

Irish Jigger

Well done,your next one will be a lot easier.

doradoben

I used a small common screwdriver with the tip bent, kind of like the dental tool in the photo, to remove the bushing. I ordered a replacement bearing from Shimano for a Speedmaster & it was already open (no shields). This one change allows the reel to have excellent freespool..

thedw

for bearing removal tool hedge hog studios sells them.

but personally i like to use a pair of spilt ring pliers!  ;)

gd luck!