Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan.han

I love those surfmasters. Such a perfect size. Now, why won't Penn make something like that again?
raw instinct

erikpowell

hey all,
there's a used surf master 100 in a local shop here... what's a fair price for one in good-verygood condition with 3/4 spool of 30-40lb power pro?
i'd really like to have it, but the guy may think it's a valuable collectable and has priced it accordingly... close to $80 US!
like to know your guys thoughts.
Thanks
erik

Alto Mare

I try not to go over $50 on those, in great shape. I would gladly pay $80 for a new one.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Thanks Sal !  I was in a hurry so didn't check it that closely, but it felt nice in my hand!
Appreciate your perspective...as always  ;)

erikpowell

Bula Sal,
heh,heh, i'd forgotten about this thread  ???
I scored that Surfmaster for $35 bucks this week... fijian dollars!
My good buddy let it go cheap, he knows i like old penns.
The beauty is now I thnk there's room for a Tib frame in the budget!
any more ice blue ones around?  ;D
Cheers bro
Erik

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 31, 2013, 12:50:03 AM
Hey Erik.
Don't follow my lead, I have expensive taste ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Blue-Tiburon-P16-Reel-Frame-Penn-Squidder-Jr-146-Monofil-27-Beachmaster-100-/121164030025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c35f06049

yeah, but class Sal...class !

i'll see if I can pickup a ss sleeve from Alan... Scott's doesn't list the gear sleeve separately, or Alan's ss one either  ???
is it same as a squidder or jigmaster?
and darn, that P16 is 4 times more than I paid for the reel!... you do have expensive taste!
Later buddy

Alto Mare

Erik, you'll need 98 -155AT coarse tooth. Check with Bryan, he might be able to help, I believe Alan is still busy pulling cows to the boat ;D.
You do not need to have the frame, the reel should do just fine without it.....but they do look sweet ;D .
If you didn't need to have blue, you could save yourself around $10 and if you mention my name, there is a slight chance that you could get another $5 off.

erikpowell

Sal, I think your reel is going to have a fijian twin soon...  ;D
I'll check with Bryan....
Thanks!

Bryan Young

Bula Erik. What you need. I may have it. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 31, 2013, 02:21:49 AM
and if you mention my name, there is a slight chance that you could get another $5 off.

Bula Sal,

just wanted to let you know your surfmaster's twin will be coming soon.  ;)

Thanks for putting me in touch with Gregg. He's a cool guy.

However, I tried dropping your name and here's the response I got:

"Hello Erik,  Thanks for contacting me!
The Sal "discount" is an additional 20% tacked on, you sure you want that?"

I see Gregg takes pretty good care of you !
.... Vinaka Sal !  ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: erikpowell on November 20, 2013, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 31, 2013, 02:21:49 AM
and if you mention my name, there is a slight chance that you could get another $5 off.

Bula Sal,

just wanted to let you know your surfmaster's twin will be coming soon.  ;)

Thanks for putting me in touch with Gregg. He's a cool guy.

However, I tried dropping your name and here's the response I got:

"Hello Erik,  Thanks for contacting me!
The Sal "discount" is an additional 20% tacked on, you sure you want that?"

I see Gregg takes pretty good care of you !
.... Vinaka Sal !  ;D ;D
I wouldn't be surprised if he did, I haven't been talking nicely about Tiburon lately, sorry I tell it like I see it.
I know he's watching me.....Hi Gregg.
He's still a very nice guy ;).
Later buddy.
Sal

erikpowell

Bula Sal,
any idea where I can get the steel gears for my 100 and how much it would set me back?
Thanks

Alto Mare

Erik stainless steel gears are not available, but if you meant plain steel, I could spare just one.
Send me your email through my PM and I'll get it out to you.
Lee is making me some inserts, to most it doesn't make sense, but I want some.
Don't forget, when your done with the twin, there is another a little larger waiting ;)

;D ;D.

Keta

Eric, I've scrounged them out of older Penn 60's

I just put a black Tib frame on one of my Surfmaster 100s.  The next one will have a Newell base once I locate one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain