Penn 112H - Double alternating dogs

Started by redsetta, February 10, 2013, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slgriffiths

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 15, 2013, 12:02:51 AM
Hi SNAPPERHEAD,they are 316. I have considered a ss Sleeve but as the reel is never overloaded I may just stay with the brass Sleeve. I agree with Lee's take on this one that brass running on a ss  Bridge shaft is preferable to ss on ss.

I understand where you both are coming from on this - one softer, preferably self-lubricating type metal on another harder one.  But these are fishing reels, and while we love them, and want to do whatever we can to improve them, realistically the sleeves and shafts are running at very, very slow speeds (relative to most machinery) and at very, very low pressures given the surface areas involved- surely a little lubrication (grease)and SS on SS will last without significant wear for more years than most of us get to fish!
The advantage of a SS gear sleeve to me is the ability to withstand rounding off by the handle, not the ability to withstand wear. 
Has anyone ever seen a gear sleeve worn out on the bridge shaft?

Simon.

Bryan Young

Hi Simon,

I have yet to see the gear sleeve wear at the bridge area, but have replace a lot of dogs.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Simon, seen my share of brass ones rounded off at the handle area though. I agree that the main reason I replace them is to avoid this handle failure.
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

You've got me thinking guys,maybe it's time to move on and fit stainless steel sleeves to my Penn's.  Should be ok provided they are well lubricated as suggested.
Over half the reels I repair need replacement sleeves where the sleeve, and sometimes the handle have both become damaged.

buitrechico

Very nice work Tom! I like it. There are a lot of new reels with special alloys,latest technology,light weights and everything you want (very expensive price also),but the "classics" old Penn still remain through the time (upgraded or not) .

Richard

:o Hey fellas,this  Irish guy from Bangor is becoming pretty popular for his nice works,isn't he?
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

saltydog

All of my Penns have upgraded sleeves and dogs once I aquire one,haven't seen any problems from them or others I have repaired.It is one of the best mods you can do other than adding a solid frame and other bling.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur