Penn 112H - Double alternating dogs

Started by redsetta, February 10, 2013, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

From Tom (Irish Jigger):

Here's another take on the S/S double dogs, this time in alternating format in the 112H.

The reason for the alternating dogs is to reduce handle slop, especially when using the Penn 24-56 power handle.

Pic one: Minimum cutout leaving sufficient material for bridge support.

Pic two: 2mm stainless steel dogs with retaining pins to assist in locating/supporting springs.

Pic three: Sub assembly. Note the custom dogs - the left dog is slightly longer than the right dog to allow for alternating engagement.

Pic four: Assembly showing the right dog protruding slightly beyond bridge.

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

I agree - great work Tom.
Meticulous and finely crafted.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very interesting Tom, that's what it's all about...keep improving.
I really like the design ;).
I'm not criticizing you or anything like that, I enjoy everything you bring to the table. It might be a good idea to leave a little more meat at the area where the new coil spring rests. This is a small adjustment, I just don't think that removing axcessive material there is necessary. Here is a shot of what I'm talking about:

Thanks for bringing it to us Tom.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Quite right Sal. I realised that after making the cut out.  With hindsight I could have left more material in that area and still had room for a longer spring location slot. I am happy with it as there is very little load on that particular spring. 
There's always room for improvement,the next one will be different.

Justin,many thanks for downloading this,still trying! ;D

Cone

Very nice job. The dogs look great. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

erikpowell

"Who let the dogs out?"......
Nice work Tom!
Ok, I'm inspired !  i think it's about time for me to give this a shot on my 112h,113h, and 500
I have a question for you Double Doggers...
Are you reusing the same bridge screws and original dog and just adding a new dog, or swapping the old one out for a different shape?
and.. who can supply those dogs & springs? 
Thanks for sharing!

UK Ron

Irish Jigger

Thank's guys for your nice comments.

Erikpowell, for simultaneous double dogging  Jigmasters or Special Senators the original dogs,springs and bridge screws will suffice. You may have to adjust the length of one dog to achieve simultaneous engagement.

Lee (Keta) can supply stainless steel dogs for most of these Penn's.
Sal (Alto Mare) can advise re leaf springs for the  112H and 113H.

As these reels are man enough for anything I am likely to catch I only need alternating dogs to reduce handle slop and had to shorten one standard size dog on the Jigmaster to achieve this.

The 112H  modification necessitated  making new dogs in order to have them reacting directly in line with the bridge screws and again one has to be shorter than the other.

Like Lee I make mine from 14swg (2mm) stainless steel offcuts.

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

SNAPPERHEAD

Very nice! By chance was kind of Stainless Steel are those dogs made out of? Also are you going to upgrade the sleeve to stainless as well?

SNAPPEHEAD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Hi SNAPPERHEAD,they are 316. I have considered a ss Sleeve but as the reel is never overloaded I may just stay with the brass Sleeve. I agree with Lee's take on this one that brass running on a ss  Bridge shaft is preferable to ss on ss.