Alantani.com strikes again, bearing removal!!!!

Started by xr616, February 11, 2013, 12:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xr616

First of all thanks again for everyone who has posted on this topic. Long story short, Shimano Calcutta 700 with spool bearing stuck in side plate. I tried every thing I could think of, pliers, PB blaster,  dental pick, I bent a couple tools, this thing was stuck. So I came to the site  and searched for the topic. Several things came up. I read most of them them decided I would go for the heat/cool technique.

I cleaned all the gunk out of the cavity. Washed it with degreaser then windex. I use a lot of windex cleaning parts. Got out my micro torch, heated the case around the bearing. Next I held the case pliers inverted a can of caned air or dust off and froze the bearing. I know,  it says right on the can to not do that, but who listens to warnings? It popped  right out.

Thanks All

bluefish69

You can heat the bearing good & hot. Then Spray with WD - 40> It smokes a lot but no problem. Just stay away from smoke detectors.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

xr616

My wife specifically ask me to not stink up the house doing this. :o.  Setting off the fire alarms she did not say anything about    ;D. Just glad I got it out. I actually think its still useable!

bluefish69

alantani

that's ok, guys.  valentines's is right around the corner.  i see a box of chocolates and a dozen roses in her future.  of course, any more stunts like this and it will be a double box of chocolates and two dozen roses!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xr616

I'm so deep in the dog house, I doubt that would help.

alantani

i was banished to the garage.   best thing that ever happened! 

bluefish69

My wife hasn't thought of this yet. Send me to the 14'X14' storeage room 3 miles away from home. Only a 15 amp electric service thats the problem.

alantani

don't bother trying to clean parts in the dishwasher.  it doesn't work.

Alto Mare

Did you add a couple of drops of TSI 301 in the soap dispenser? ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xr616