Penn 45GLS / 25GLS drag

Started by jdc946, December 14, 2009, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdc946

How do you replace the carbontex drag washers. They look like they are permanently attached to the drive plate assembly.

alantani

they are glued on.  i've been able to rescue some pretty ugly looking drive plates using an old rag or stiff toothbrush to "raise the grain."  once you do that, try greasing it with cal's grease to see if it is smooth enough.  if it is still sticky, you probably have "high" spots as the result of corrosion between the drag washer and the aluminum.  just scrape off the tops of these with a small knife and try again.  or, just get a new one!

here's the schematic for the 25 gls https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/25gls.pdf and here's the schematic for the 45 gls https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/45gls.pdf  both have drive plates, which means an ht-100 drag washer glued to a cast aluminum pressure plate.  the #117-25 drive plate is $21 and the #117-45 is $22.35 and both are available from mysticparts.com.  you might also find them on e-bay.  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Seamaster

Quote from: alantani on December 14, 2009, 07:48:43 PM
they are glued on.  i've been able to rescue some pretty ugly looking drive plates using an old rag or stiff toothbrush to "raise the grain."  once you do that, try greasing it with cal's grease to see if it is smooth enough.  if it is still sticky, you probably have "high" spots as the result of corrosion between the drag washer and the aluminum.  just scrape off the tops of these with a small knife and try again.  or, just get a new one!

They are glued on?  How do you take them off and what glue would you need to mount the new drags?

alantani

sorry, the 45 had a drive plate with a drag washer that is glued on.  the 25 does not.  it pops right out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!