Baitrunner 4500 anti-reverse not working.

Started by Calzone, February 11, 2013, 08:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calzone

The anti-reverse isnt working on the baitrunner 4500 that I own. Any ideas what I can do? Cheers in advance

redsetta

G'day and welcome Calzone,
The 4500A has a ratchet gear and dog set-up, while the 4500B has an anti-reverse bearing.
Which model is yours?
If it's the 'A', the first place to check is the anti-reverse pawl spring, under the rotor.
If it's the 'B', the bearing may have failed due to rust or grease contamination.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Calzone

Id say it  would have to be the 4500A. I have the 4500 and the 6500 and they both dont have A or B on it. Have had both for years and its the first issue with either.

redsetta

Okay, that's makes it a bit easier as the A/R bearing can be a little tricky to properly service.
Have a look at the schematic here:
As noted above, the first place to check would be the anti-reverse pawl spring, under the rotor (#479).
It may have jumped off the pin on the A/R pawl (#485) , or rusted through, or simply be jammed up with salt/corrosion etc.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Calzone

I take it that this spring shouldnt be broken. ??

Tile

The spring is in the correct position. Clean and lubricate the antireverse assembly. This type of antireverse mechanism doesn't tolerate gunk very well.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Calzone

My first ever operation sorted. Thanks guys!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

Last evening I serviced my larger spinners. Total time was 1 hour.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

30 minutes per reel (full service) is not bad  :) .

Cone

i wish I could service all of mine in an hour.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Wake

Just service 2 of the 4500A today,both in bad shape 1 was under water corroded big time working great now,Ok for your reel now,that's the Pawl spring 479 looks good the same as the 2 reel I just done,first make sure the anti-reverse lever 819 under the reel and A/R cam 2996 are free and both turn with the lever,once there moving free make sure A/R Pawl 485 rest in the A/R ratchet 481,also if you had the A/R ratchet off make sure its facing the right direction for the Pawl to lay in,

Calzone

Already sorted the problem thanks. The pawl was just stuck open from old gunky grease. Gave it a good clean out and re-grease and everything's all sweet now. Cheers