Help choosing a reel.

Started by Fish 4 fun, February 11, 2013, 08:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish 4 fun

I am looking to buy my first lever drag 2 speed reel for general use in New England.  I expect some light trolling, jigging, chunking, and a lot of bottom fishing for cod and haddock. Some of the fishing is in pretty deep water.  I have looked at the 20 class reels and they could be an option (love the Trynos 16II but a little light) and think that a 30 class reel would be about right. I intend to use a good braided line, probably 50 pounds or less.  I am looking at the Daiwa STTLD30T 2 speed, the Penn GLD 30II, Shimano TLD30II, and the Shimano Tyrnos 30II.  What would be the best choice from this group?  Any advice would be great.  -

akfish

If it were me, I'd stay away from the Daiwa; I just don't like their design and I **hate** to work on them. I'd also say no to the Tyrnos because it's high gear is too high if you are fishing deep with lots of lead. If you are using 50# braid, you can get by with a small reel. Something like a Penn 12VXS or Avet HX holds more than enough line and is light enough to fish all day.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Daiwa reels are tough but it takes some reeducation to work on them, I do it but not willingly.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

The Penn GLD 30II, Shimano TLD30II, and the Shimano Tyrnos 30II are pretty big reels when comparing them to the Daiwa STTLD30T.  The Penn GLD 30II, Shimano TLD30II, and the Shimano Tyrnos 30II capacities are based on using mono vs. braid.  Considering the size of Daiwa STTLD30T, I also would recommend the Penn 12VXS or the Avet Rapture SX or MXJ
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Fish 4 fun on February 11, 2013, 08:27:18 PM
I am looking to buy my first lever drag 2 speed reel for general use in New England.  I expect some light trolling, jigging, chunking, and a lot of bottom fishing for cod and haddock. Some of the fishing is in pretty deep water. 

how deep are we talking about?  and how much weight will you be using?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

huxpat

Agree with everyone else the sizes you were looking at were generally way too big. Think even the Avet HX is too big. I'd say the LX or JX 6/3 if you don't need a ton of drag, or for more drag, like Bryan said, the Avet Raptor in whatever line capacity suits you. Also you have to define fishing deep, the Avet SX size would be fine if you're not fishing more than 300' without a lot of current, but if you're doing serious deep fishing, you'll need more line capacity using 50 lb braid. But the other thing is to figure out which part of the fishing it's going to do most. Because as much as everyone seems to be making reels for the "all-purpose" market, the fact is hardly any of them do everything well. If you want a jigging reel, you want a two anti-reverse bearing reel for no backplay slop in the handle or at least a double dog reel or best of all an Accurate triple dog DPX500-2, but that's gonna cost you some serious bucks. Avets are going to be less than ideal for jigging with single dog anti-reverse like a lot of trolling reels. The only three reels I'd consider that DO do everything reasonably well are the $509 Tiburon SST Smart Shift 7530 or 7540, that has a double dog anti-reverse, and the automatic shifting from high to low and back is the only way two speeds make much sense at all to me in anything but a big game reel, and the $625 Accurate DPX500-2. At 26-28 oz they're both on the heavy side for my liking, but they're seemingly great reels. And the Okuma Makaira 15 since it's also a double dog and at $459 is an absolutely formidable trolling reel that will handle anything, at 26 oz is 6 oz lighter than a Tyrnos 16 and a million times more reel, and should be fine for most bottom fishing too. Again, as a double dog anti reverse, not as completely free of backplay as it could be to use for jigging, but WAY better than a single dog AR.
  If it doesn't have to be great at anything, just decent, the Avets in the $300-400 range would be the way to go. But I'd probably spend a little more money on a Makaira 15 if you're going for something in the mid 20-oz range anyway.

bluefish69

I have fished with Jim in N.H. for Cod, Pollack & Haddock. Up there he fishes Shallow is 250' - 400' deep. I have fished there with up to 24oz sinkers or 9-17oz SS Jigs. My personal choice would be a 3/0 hot roded or a P332F Trib Handle, Trib Frame & Carbon X or HT - 100 drags.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

a tyrnos 12 two speed will hold, what, maybe 600 yards of 60# hollowcore spectra.  do a full service, throw a big handle grip on it, string it up and go fish.  i think you should be fine.  it doesn't sound like you would ever need the low gear, though.  i'm thinking of a penn baja special with a big handle grip.

bluefish69

This is up to Jim. I do like to spend other peoples money.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

hot rodded shimano tld star 15/30.  it has massive stainless steel gears.

huxpat

Will qualify my earlier post by saying my suggestions are likely way more reel than you'd ever need. They were just based on the idea that you wanted a 2 speed, you wanted a lever drag, and you wanted it to be very all purpose. Good thread from someone who was basically a tropical version of you who bought Makaira 15's for similar varieties of fishing. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?34112-My-new-Makaira-15s-came-in My personal choice would be something else entirely - like Alan I believe there's little point in a low gear for your fishing and would simply go for a single speed 5:1 lever drag reel between 16-20 oz which opens up the field a bit more, lightens the weight, and lessens the price.

Fish 4 fun

Thanks for all the feedback.  Deep to me would be 300-500 feet which some of the northen boats fish all the time. I want to give them a try one of these days. Most of my fishing has been in Rhode Island area waters and shallower. I usually fish  with a pair of well maintained but stock Penn 112 and 112H  with 30 pound braid or mono depending on the conditions. Most of my my jigs and weights are under 16oz with one 17oz stainless viking.  I've heard the deeper areas guys use 4/0 and heavier weights.  Buying heavier hardware is easy, but I want to find a balance with the braided line. I have only been using braids for about 2 years and now am looking to expand.  Alan: I was looking at the  Penn Baha for a while but then began to see that there are hundreds of reels to choose from and you are right that a start drag model is sufficent.  I think I just got interested in the lever drag because there are new to me.  I am willing to spend some money on a good reel because I plan to use it for a long time. I like to fish as often as time and $ allow.

SoCalAngler

It does sound like most 2 speeds are over kill for what your looking to do but if you don't mind spending money maybe you should take a look at the Andros 5. Its a little reel that packs a punch and for the lb tests your looking to fish should fit the bill well just pack on some spectra. A small light two speed can be fished all day without wearing yourself out. The type of jigging you do on the right coast if different than here on the left coast where reels with dogs work fine for our yoyo style and if some back play with reels with dogs arn't an issue maybe a JX 6/3 should be looked at as well.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Fish 4 fun on February 12, 2013, 04:55:04 PM
  I am willing to spend some money on a good reel because I plan to use it for a long time. I like to fish as often as time and $ allow.
Sounds like a tweaked up 113H might do you.
*Will definitelt last longer than us.
*easy to service
*parts still available
*upgrades are endless
*and most of all...will never let you down ;)

Good luck with whatever you chose.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

huxpat

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 12, 2013, 05:52:15 PM
It does sound like most 2 speeds are over kill for what your looking to do but if you don't mind spending money maybe you should take a look at the Andros 5. Its a little reel that packs a punch and for the lb tests your looking to fish should fit the bill well just pack on some spectra. A small light two speed can be fished all day without wearing yourself out. The type of jigging you do on the right coast if different than here on the left coast where reels with dogs work fine for our yoyo style and if some back play with reels with dogs arn't an issue maybe a JX 6/3 should be looked at as well.

I'd forgotten about the Andros - don't have any experience with them but totally fits your criteria and is super super light. Price isn't all that much at $399. And Okuma has been doing damn good with their higher end stuff. Plus Alan has done a full breakdown on it and seems to give it a pretty good thumbs up. And I kinda like the low speed gear being higher speed than most at 3.8:1 because there's just no need for a granny gear in a small reel. Really nice looking little reel.