Upgrading a pair of extended 3/0s

Started by Moikatcha, February 12, 2013, 08:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moikatcha

Aloha just was wondering if I could upgrade these reels anymore besides the newell ext. bluefin kit and 5:1 gearing
I was looking for maybe better,smoother casting ability and in any way upgrading the brakes

I do have all the latest reels that r out from toriums, sealines,seagates,penn fathoms,trinis and vintage Newell's
I still enjoy using old scull stuff any info or ideas would help Lmk aloha

alantani

funny you mention an extended 3/0.  it's different, but i was sent a pair of wide frames for the penn 112h that were a custom order.  rather than send them back i ordered a pair of spools to match and should have them soon. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Moikatcha

alantani

only a half inch. it is not the true "tuna special" from accurate.  the old tuna special was an accurate frame and a newell spool that held 400 yards of 30# mono, not the 300 yards of the old 112h 3/0 senator.  these are half way inbetween. 

the bluefin special was basically penn 112h side plates and wide newell bars and a newell spool.  it held 450 yards of 30# mono. 

i am guessing that the tiburon kit that i have will hold barely 400 yards of 30# mono if you pack it really tight. 

you will still need a stainless steel gear sleeve.  that is absolutely the first upgrade that must be made to this reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

triumphrick

Are there any pics of the bluefin special available?? I am working with a customer now who wants to upgrade a 112..and other than a Tib frame am looking at some opptions for him...

Do you have any thoughts? I have put my name in the hat for the stainless gear set already!

Thanks, Rick

Ron Jones

Alan,
I believe Moikatcha has a Newell Bluefin special, wich is Newell's widest base and bars for the 112H. I have a Newell Tuna Special, which is a wide 112H but not as wide as the Bluefin.

Moikatcha,
Their is a lot you can do to your reel to make it fish stronger. But you've gone about as far as you can to increase castability other than blueprinting. Check out the current 112h narrow thread for some awesome brakes that your reel should definitely have coming down the pike. If you don't have a stainless gear sleeve you need one and double dogging would be nice to. By the time all that's done, and youv'e serviced it according to Alan's tutorial, your reel will be about bullet proof.

Where you at?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Be careful with high drag setting of those wide spool reels. The spools do flex and have been known to warp.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: triumphrick on March 27, 2013, 01:54:37 PM
Are there any pics of the bluefin special available?? I am working with a customer now who wants to upgrade a 112..and other than a Tib frame am looking at some opptions for him...

Do you have any thoughts? I have put my name in the hat for the stainless gear set already!

Thanks, Rick

SS gearsleeve & dog (dogs) and  greased Carbontex drag washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain