RELEASING ROCK FISH

Started by Dominick, February 13, 2013, 12:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hello everyone.  Here is a BD Outdoors video on recompressing rockfish.  Dominick

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/rockfish-pressure-video/
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Killerbug

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Alto Mare

Nice video Dominick, much better than stabbing it to death.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 13, 2013, 01:41:14 AM
Nice video Dominick, much better than stabbing it to death.

No No Sal:  You don't stab the fish to kill it, you stab it to puncture the bladder which equalizes the air pressure.  :D  The only thing is it does not work.  Thus your comment is most apropos.  ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

We have the same problems with wrasse. Some anglers use a device similar to the RoKlees  (as shown on the video) to return them safely.
http://www.oceaneyephoto.com/photo_411410.html

Keta

Here's another video on barotrauma and release.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Strange. NOAA has this for the west coast but requires you to have deinflating needles and dehookers on the Gulf Coast for reef fish (snapper, etc)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Keta

In Oregon it's not a requirement.

Mark Twain

lawaia

Out here, there are a couple of proven methods for releasing fish brought up from the depths.  One is venting which, as has been pointed out, may just be akin to saving the fish from dying from barotrauma by instead stabbing it to death.  The other method requires no venting, just quickly sending it back down to the depths, similar to putting a diver with the bends into a recompression chamber.  This second method is called the "drop-shot" method; it's quite similar to that in one of the links that Lee posted above.  To learn more about it, check out this link, the second page:

http://www.wpcouncil.org/bottomfish/Documents/200705_Closure/BF_Releasing_Methods.pdf

Aloha.

jonathan.han

Here it goes again, the stabbing to death vs. descending debate. I work on a charter boat for part of the year that targets local rockfish. The biggest problem is that most people trying to use a venting needle don't know how to do it properly. Stabbing aimlessly will kill, inadequately ventilate, or completely miss the air bladder altogether. I was shown how to do it since there are times when I have to help 20 people pull up all of their gear, unhook canaries, and vent them all before we setup the next drift so I can gaff and untangle lines.

Descending tools are helpful in releasing all rockfish successfully. Mind you, I'd say almost all the boats out of Half Moon Bay release rockfish rockfish successfully. There are 2 boats that are shady, I won't say which ones though. Most of the boats out of the gate, sad to say, are not very effective in release methods.

Even with descenders, fish fall off the securing hook when being dropped pover the side. I've seen NOAA researchers fail to descend fish and vent properly. Like anything else, it takes finesse and good hand-eye coordination. I would suggest that most private boaters and sportfishermen to use descenders instead of a venting tool since it takes practice and proper teaching to vent effectively, just like drawing blood from a vein. It is a surgical procedure that people should not attempt haphazardly on a moving boat while lacking adequate balance(sealegs).
raw instinct

wallacewt

same thing with guys using the iki jima method.
better with a donger(mini  baseball bat)
and hit the fish on the head if you are going to eat it.

Keta

Quote from: wallacewt on March 12, 2013, 11:51:20 PM
same thing with guys using the iki jima method.
better with a donger(mini  baseball bat)
and hit the fish on the head if you are going to eat it.

Yup

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Joel.B

I used to live-trap Sheepshead in Mexico, for sale at live fish markets in SoCal.

We'd deflate them as soon as we got them aboard and into the tanks they'd go. They'd stay alive in our holding tanks for weeks until we had enough to truck them up to Los Angeles. We had a special jig/cradle to hold them in while we deflate them, made it much easier and more consistent.  The cradle was basically two  pieces of 2x6 screwed together to make a V that was about 20 inches long