Main Menu

Minestrone

Started by Alto Mare, February 13, 2013, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Well, I'm home again this week, so still helping out with the cooking. I think my wife is going to miss this, she's getting used to this life style. For me, it's getting old already and can't wait to get back to my work...hopefully next week.
Today I'm making a simple but powerful meal...loaded with goodies. Just in case some of you want to try my way, this is the way i do it:
I saulteed  some onions and garlic in  olive oil, along with some red pepper flakes. I usually add a couple of slices of chopped bacon, but today is Ash Wednesday... so, no meat

i then add some celery and carrots

I like to broil my vegetables for a couple of minutes before I add them to the pot, all I do is drizzle a little oil over the vegetable, salt and pepper

I'm using mushrooms, peas, brussels sprouts, beans, potatoes and broccoli. You could use whatever you like.
When all the vegetables are mixed together, I add water a little at a time until the vegetables are covered

after about 1 hour of simmer at medium/low heat, the minestrone is done

I will then cook the ditalini al dente in some boiling water, drain and add to the minestrone

This is good stuff!
Enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Looks so good.  you had me up until I saw the brussel sprouts.   ::) :P
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2013, 02:10:04 AM

Bryan:  Don't let the Brussels Sprouts get to you.  Minestrone is a clean out the refrigerator soup.  What ever is in the vegetable tray and leftover cooked meat in the refrigerator goes in.  There is no real recipe.  It a mixture of whatever you want.  Including the rind of the cheeses left over.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Looks great Sal. You've got talent. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 14, 2013, 04:02:34 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2013, 02:10:04 AM

Bryan:  Don't let the Brussels Sprouts get to you.  Minestrone is a clean out the refrigerator soup.  What ever is in the vegetable tray and leftover cooked meat in the refrigerator goes in.  There is no real recipe.  It a mixture of whatever you want.  Including the rind of the cheeses left over.  Dominick
Dominick, you just reminded me how me and my brother used to fight for the cheese rind.

Bryan, you don't know what's good for you  ::). You're just like my wife, she hates them also.... not the taste, she hates  when I eat them  ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Dominick, that is how I cook...I find what's in the frig, then off I cook something.  Sometimes it's good, and sometimes, well...

I just don't like the taste of brussel sprouts...just like bell peppers...just not my thing.

Sal, I must say, you wife has good taste...she picked you, and I picked you as a friend and moderator  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Glad to be a part of it Bryan, sorry to you guys that are not crazy about me ;D

Byan, you want to hear something funny? My mom used to put this stuff in a blender to make baby food for my kids. I'm not going to tell you what she used to call baby food from the store. ;D

Dominick. I spent under $15 for this meal, it could feed 10 with no problems. I have 4 containers that I will be giving out today, it's better the next day. ;)

Bryan Young

Sal, you make me smile.  I have no idea whay there may be people out there that are not crazy about you.  You are one hellava guy buddy.

My wife though baby food in a jar looked like puppy poo...I cannot disagree...

saltydog

Now that is my kinda meal,keep it up.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur