Garcia made Senator 112 clone

Started by JasonF, February 14, 2013, 12:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

So I swung buy a local junk store today and ran across this reel.  I paid $15 for it.  Can someone give me any info on it such as age, model, are parts available, etc.  i could care less about its value as I just want to have fun fixing it up.

Also, is there a trick to (chemically) removing corosion from the metal parts?

Any info will be appreciated!  J

alantani

simple design.  tear it down and soak the metal parts in CLR calcium lime rust remover.  it has phosphoric acid that does a great job of removing scale.  for the plastic parts, just clean them up with an old toothbrush and dishwashing detergent.  you will have to measure out the drag washers and find something close that will fit from the penn list.  i can help with that later.  take photos during the disassembly so that you can get it back together later. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Hello Jason, I had a few of those in the past. If you're lucky, that chrome might come out looking brand new.
I use  Simple Green on chromed parts, I just soak them for a day or so.
I believe that reel is from the 60's, not 100%.
Don't worry about the hair line cracks on the plate, you could still fish it if you wanted to. I don't believe  you will find one without Those cracks .
The reel has small washers, but never gave me problems with Blues. I used them up to 4 or so years ago.
The reel is made in France, sorry, that's all I can tell you about it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

As Sal said Soak, Soak & Soak but after that I would use the toothbrush with tooth paste or old fashioned Boname. Boname has no grit & won't scratch the chrome or plastic. Just look for the little yellow chick on the label.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

I believe the drags are the same size as a squidder.  I recently gave 2 away to a family wanting to go fishing off of a party boat and from shore off the jetty.  I don't know if they will be able to cast it,  but it is castable.

As Sal indicated, don't worry about the hairline crack.  I've seen only one that didn't have a hairline crack, and it looked new.

Oher than that, and what others have said, have fun and let us know what you have learned.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

It looks like the handle side side plate has the typical crack.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuoteDon't worry about the hairline cracks on the plate, you could still fish it if you wanted to. I don't believe you will find one without those cracks.
x2.
Those old white Garcias are still reasonably common in NZ and I've never seen one without cracks.
They still generally fish fine.
Good luck with the restoration, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Now that I have it apart, I am surprised by the condition inside.  Not bad and zero corrosion.  Gear teeth are perfect.  It has a SS pinion and bridge but brass main and gear sleeve. It has the smallest dog that I have ever seen.    

Getting replacement drag washers concerns me.  There are four that are very thin, so I am worried that four HT-100's will be too thick of a stack.  And you were right about their small size.  About quarter size.

I would love to get the side plates back to white but they are pretty stained.  I am soaking in dish soap but that will not cut it.  Any ideas?

They had a 4/0 that had the identical crack!

Next I will put in a 7+1 to get 20 pounds of drag and put in a second dog!  ;)

JasonF

And by the way, does anyone know a model number?

Bryan Young

That looks like a Garcia Mitchell 602A.  I think the A stands for outer metal ring.  This is only speculation because the reels I gave a way were 600 and 600A and the only difference that I could tell was the 600A had an outer metal ring on both side plates where the one without the A only had inner metal rings and no outer rings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

I got this from this website.  Looks like the 602 is wider.  Thanks!

http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=categories&cid=198&Itemid=72

Bryan Young

Awesome Jason.  You answered your own question while educating us folks.

Irish Jigger

Great little reels. Well made,clickers never rusted like the Penn's do. They  nearly all have that little crack on the handle side plate which does not affect their perfomance.
Lots of them in regular use over here. NOS side plates are still available in the UK from time to time.
Should clean up well.

paal

Seeing that reel sent me straight back to my youth. I could not afford my own gear, but had a really friendly neighbor who would lend me his.

Thanks for the trip back in time :)

JasonF

Yeah Im not even old (I turn 40 tommorow! :( ) but I love old fishing reel adverts!

It has been soaking overnight, and this thing is going to look nice.  Corrosion is coming right off. 

Is simple green safe for use on the side plates?