New to Okuma

Started by 58Evinrudebigtwin35, February 14, 2013, 03:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Evinrudebigtwin35

I have for years relied on my ancient Penn and Ocean City reels for fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and Patuxent river in MD.  Rockfish ( Stripers) Bluefish and bottom fishing for Hardhead (Atlantic Croaker) are my favorite targets.  I like to run upriver on the Patuxent river and terrorize the catfish too.  I would like to fish a modern light weight conventional reel for trolling and botton fishing.  I've read some good things about Okuma.  Can someone point me to a Okuma reel that would be suited for what I have descibed?  I am on a budget and the top of the line is out of the question.
Many thanks

Tony
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

alantani

spectra really changed the game.  normally it was 300 yards of 20 to 30# mono and a 3-5 pound drag setting.  spectra is 1/5th the diameter of mono, so the reels can be alot smaller, but they have to deliver more drag.  you can honestly fish with anything you want.  the important thing is go through your reel first.  being able to service your own gear will make you a better fisherman. 

so for starters, how much line do you want the reel to hold, what line weight, and how much drag?  is star drag ok, or do you want lever drag?  and topless or levelwind. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hi Tony, I like the Cortez series star drag reels.  The are light, full aluminum frame, and pretty strong reels for the size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Hi Tony,

I bought a Cortez CZ10 last year and am very happy with it, nice little reel. I am in the U.K. so I don't know if it will suit the fishing you do on your side of the pond.

Here is a link to a review they did on it.

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/review-of-okuma-cortez-cz10-multiplier-reel/

Mike.

SoCalAngler

Ah Bryan the Cortez has a graphite frame and the Cedros has the aluminum frame. I can see since both reels have a name that begins with C some slip ups can happen. Both are nice reels depending on your needs.

Bryan Young

Oh, I knew it was one of those.  Man I feel OLD.  Thanks for the correction.

One thing, I still remember my kids and how to work on reels.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

My wife still reminds me to feed them (the kids) when she leaves for the weekend....ohh and the dogs too ;D  at least i remember where the beer 'frig is ::)
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bluefish69

Get one of those automatic feeders & set what ever time you desire. Also get one for the dog.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.