Penn II 80TW opinions

Started by widgeon, February 14, 2013, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widgeon

Hey, looking at a Penn II 80TW, and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this version of the Internationals compared to the SW, VSW, etc.  It's a single speed and was wondering more about quality comparisons etc.

Appreciate it!
Kevin

akfish

The "T" versions have the rub frame which was a significant improvement over the post versions. If your reel has HT-100 drag washers it's probably fine as it is, although I can't imagine fishing an 80 as a single speed reel. Consider sending it to Cal to be 2-speeded. He'll offer additional options -- bump up drag, increase free spool, etc. that you might want.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Robert Janssen

Quote from: akfish on February 14, 2013, 03:35:42 PM
If your reel has HT-100 drag washers it's probably fine as it is...

It does.

(or did when it left the factory anyway. No idea where it has been in the meantime)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

widgeon

Thanks for the feedback.  Correct, single speed at 2.7:1 gear ratio, pic below. Not sure what the entrails look like.  Should I fork out for a newer 2-speed or is it worth to have Cal's upgrade?

conchydong

That reel looks pretty clean..... probably hardly used. If you can get a good deal, I say go for it and have Cal 2 speed it. If you are using it for trolling, it's not neccesssary  IMO  to pay extra for the freespool work and blueprinting. A "new" 80 wide is pretty darn expensive.

alantani

i just checked, and the conversion is $235.  it looks like there is an optional granny gear for this reel.  it is probably a 1:1 gear ratio.

http://www.cals2speed.com/price_list.html
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

widgeon

UKChris

I've got one of the 80T (not TW) single-speed ones and they are great reels  :) Love the sound they make on winding in  :-*

I have found it OK to use though I do prefer the two-speed options when available (I have the 80 STW too), but I have sometimes joked that you only need the low gear of the two-speed reels because their high gear is too high whereas in a single-speed it is about right most of the time  ::)

Whatever you decide, enjoy!