Banax Tova 600L basic maintenance

Started by Tile, February 15, 2013, 01:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The Banax Tova 600L is a good entry-level baitcaster with an excellent design and construction and 5+1 bearings.

The cast control cap is loosened.

Next the nonhandle side plate is detached from the frame.

The spool is then taken out.

The levelwind guide bar is unscrewed and detached from the reel. It is important to unscrew and detach it first because it is the handle side cover frontal screw.

Following the removal of the levelwind guide bar the levelwind cover can be swung up and detached.

The locking cap screw is unscrewed and detached followed by the locking cap.

Using a 10mm spanner the handle nut is unbolted from the gear shaft.

The handle arm and the antilock washer are detached from the gearshaft.

The drag star is also unbolted from the gear shaft.

The drag star clicker assembly and bellevilles are now visible.

The belleville configuration is  )) .

The rear screw (self tapping) is unscrewewd and detached.

Followed by the yoke post screws.

Now the geartrain is revealed.

The antireverse bearing, the shim and the outer ball bearing are detached from the gearshaft.

The drag stack (this reel got the HT100 drag washers and Cal's grease treatment)

The kick ratchet, levelwind idler gear and pinion gear assembly are detached.

The gearshaft holder screws are unscrewwed from the frame allowing the gearshaft to be detached.

The jack spring is detached from it and the frame and set aside.

The yoke post e-clips, jack holder screw and its washer are detached and set aside.

Using a flat screwdriver gently pry apart the jack from the thumb bar and detach it.

The kick lever and its spring are detached.

Insert back the levelwind guide bar and using a big flat screwdriver unscrew and detach the pawl cap.

Datach the pawl and ist tension washer from the levelwind assembly and set them aside.

Detaching the non handle side wormshaft e-clip allows the rest of the levelwind assembly to be detached from the frame.

The jack and kick lever assembly is reattached to the frame as well as the gearshaft after a cleanup and a relube with a premium automotive grease.

The levelwind assembly is then reattached to the frame and lubed with light oil. Care must be taken not to overtighten the pawl cap.

The idler gear gets the same treatment. It has to be mounted with the proeminecces towards the outer end of the gearshaft to insure good meshing
with the worm gear.

The drag stack is treated with Cal's grease.

The antireverse bearing is lubed with light oil  as well as the other bearings throughout the maintenance process. The pinion gear assembly is
remounted back on the reel.

The reel is then rebuilt and checked for proper function.

In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Very nice job Tile, that little reel has a lot going on. Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

nicely done!  did you by chance pack these two bearings with grease?  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

also, what kind of threads do you find on the grease guns in romania?

Tile

The bearings were oiled. I have an industrial sized grease gun and its thread matches the one on the bearing packers.

alantani

if the bearings fail some time down the line, you might look at packing these with grease. 

Tile

I said that I would be getting a baitcasting combo in 2 to 3 years time but I got it way ahead of my estimated time frame and for a very small sum ( the reel was free and the rod costed me 16 $ - now that's a score  :) ).

alantani

for fresh water, this reel will probably last you a very long time!

Tile

Since I do freshwater fishing only, all my multipliers will last me a ton of time. Also the larger ones are filled with 40lb 0,40 mm Carp Expert mono, their rods have a lot of give and all these factors greatly reduce the load on them.