New pawl on Penn 320 GTI

Started by mirkee, February 15, 2013, 02:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirkee

I got two Penn 320 GTI from a friend and they have broken levelwinds.  I cleaned the worm drives and still no go.  Ordered two new pawls and they arrived in the mail today.  My question is...is there a certain way to install these.  The two pawl "ears" are in line.  Do they run in the same direction as the worm drive?  In other words, if I mark the top of the pawls with a line running the same direction as the ears, shoud that line then line up parallel with he worm drive?  I assume if I am a little off the pawls will just settle in.  Also, should I lube the pawls before slipping them back in.  I want to keep the levelwind function as these will be strictly used for bottom fishing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mirko

alantani

slowly screw in the pawl cap so that the pawl lines up into the groves of the worm.  also, send me a pm with your address and i will send you some teflon shims to keep this from happening again. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mike La Franchie

What do the Teflon shims do?
How will they stop a pawl getting chewed out?
I only fish on days ending with Y

alantani

the shims force the pawl just a little closer to the worm so that the pawl is less likely to jump the tracks of the worm. 

Bryan Young

Welcome Mirko,

I place the pawl in the line guide and rotate the worm slowly.  If the pawl does not drop in, I take it out and try to reposition the pawl so it is in close alignment with the worm drive and rotate slowly.  The pawl will usually drop in.  Then I put the teflon washer and cap and screw down.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mirkee

I just posted under another heading, forgot I had posted previously.  I ordered new pawls but ordered the wrong ones.  Beware, if you have an older reel with plastic line guides.  Looking back, I wish I had ordered the whole upgrade kit instead.  I'll have to file down the pawls to make them fit.  See my post under another heading.

Peace and love,

Mirko

Mike La Franchie

Quote from: alantani on February 15, 2013, 08:21:18 AM
the shims force the pawl just a little closer to the worm so that the pawl is less likely to jump the tracks of the worm. 

Thanks alan.
i will give this a go. i have a few old teflon drag washers i can cut up. is 0.5mm thickness suitable?

alantani

no, it has to be exact.  send me your address and i will send out the shims.

Mike La Franchie

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2013, 07:05:05 PM
no, it has to be exact.  send me your address and i will send out the shims.

PM Sent

Decker

Just found this thread...  Need to fix the level-wind on a 320GT2, where the guide gets stuck at the ends.  I assume the same principles apply.   

Hardy Boy

You will most likely have to change the worm gear. If you do make sure to install a new pawl at the same time. I service many 320 and 330 and 340 and when the line guide is getting stuck there is usually damage to the worm gear. It does not take much damage and they do not work; slight damage to a tip or a small groove and they are toast. They are easy to swap out though and are not expensive. The Teflon shim is also a good idea.
Todd

handi2

Put the Pawl in as Bryan has suggested. It needs to be at a 45% angle when you put it in. Make sure its right by rotating the spool before making it tight.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Decker

Keith, fixed the 320GT2 yesterday with he worm gear and pawl that you sent.  I could see some damage on the worm drive.  The damaged area was very small but I could see brass showing through the chrome on one edge.  Should have taken a picture, but the old one is already in the garbage.

Thanks for the help!!

P.S. As Alan has mentioned before, it is really easy to over-tighten the frame screws on these reels.  I did it, and it was hard to crank, but after backing out the screws about 3/4 turn it was all good.

handi2

That's great. I forgot all about it.

If you can see brass on the worm gear its time for a new one.

If the reel is hard to crank with the drag backed all the way out and the drag tension is loose tighten the star just a bit and it should easily reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL