US spinfisher question

Started by paal, February 15, 2013, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

I need some advice from you Penn gurus :)

I've noticed that a genuine US spinfisher is not too expensive. Like this one for a 100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-704Z-REEL-IN-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/290861846987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b8b791cb

Is this a reasonable price? To me, the original box and papers are worth something too. Anything I should be aware of with this family of reels?

I would enjoy owning this piece of history, and using it for jigging large cod and halibut here in Norway. Maybe even upgrading with an extra dog if possible :)

Thanks,
Paal

Cone

The 704z is a good reel. The only drawback with this reel is the antireverse works off the main gear. The older ss series 7500ss 8500ss and 9500ss the antireverse locks the rotor. There is less stress on the gears. The smaller ss's ratchets are on the pinion. The z series reels are good reels with  brass gears but I think the ss series are better if winching up large fish especially with Redsetta's ss dog upgrade. This is just my opinion.
Lots of people here use them for cobia here. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

Great reels, but would not recommend them for cod or halibuts.   They are not real winching reels for that type of game. SS series would be better. Also, if line gets loose, those tend to line sneak under the spool. I still love them for striper fishing live lining though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

paal

Thanks guys, this is good info! Greatly appreciated :)

Not so many large ss models on ebay at the moment, but I guess it makes the acquisition process a whole lot more interesting :D

akfish

Remember too that the Z series reels have not been made for several years so finding arts can be difficult.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

Have you considered the original Spinfisher SS models Ref Scott's link here?

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSS.aspx

Any of these reels from the 6500SS  up to the 9500SS models should do your job. I have the 6500SS and 7500SS which can cope with all I catch here and mostly use them for pollack jigging (6kg max.)

They appear on UK eBay from time to time and sell for the following  approximate prices.
6500SS-£45-£55
7500SS-£50-£70
8500SS-50-£60 (rare and not as popular as the others.)
9500SS£100-£160.

The above US made models all have  a bronze (naval brass) main gear and a stainless steel pinion.
They are great reels with some very good tutorials on here which should give you an insight into their workings. They can be double dogged to cater for those giant Norwegian Saithe and Halibut you guys target. ;D ;D

I could probably get you a "Penn  Factory Conditioned" one if you are interested. ;)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

paal

uk ebay, that will be checked. Thanks for the price summary, very handy information  :)

But first, I would be very interested in hearing more about the factory conditioned ss!  :)

Irish Jigger

I shall contact my Penn parts supplier regarding what models of factory reconditioned SS  reels he may have and let you know.

Cone

paal, The 7500ss and the 8500ss are the same basic reel. The 8500ss has a larger rotor and spool. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

paal

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 17, 2013, 09:50:41 AM
I shall contact my Penn parts supplier regarding what models of factory reconditioned SS  reels he may have and let you know.

:)
I'm very impressed that these reels are available so many years after production stopped. I really like that, opposed to the majority of the 'modern' spinners that are more or less disposable.

paal

Quote from: Cone on February 17, 2013, 01:26:28 PM
paal, The 7500ss and the 8500ss are the same basic reel. The 8500ss has a larger rotor and spool. Bob
I have to give this some thought, I like to fish as light as possible, but there's always a chance that this barn door inhales the jig.... 300 yards of 50 lbs braid and 15 lbs of drag should suffice for the fishing I do, because I'm in a small boat and never anchor. I guess the 6500 would be enough....?

Alto Mare

Yes the 6500 sounds right for you. Try the one with one zero and you might get the brass gears, but the aluminum alloy will also work for you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

You know what suits your fishing the best. I have a 6500ss, 7500ss, 850ss, 8500ss and 9500ss. I love the 6500, its probably my favorite spinner. The 7500ss is probably stronger though. The 6500ss has the ratchet on the pinion shaft and the 7500ss the ratchet is on the rotor. Its a stronger setup. Look at the tutorials. I think the pics are still in them. You can see the difference. Justin, (Redsetta) has ss dogs for the 7500s up in the for sale section. they are probably the weakest link in all these reels.  Bob

paal

It would be nice with the marine grade gears, but I also noticed in the link above (pennparts) that you can still order main gears for the 3rd gen with aluminum gears. That is really impressive!

I wish it was just as easy to order Shimano parts, but I have not found any source like this one. I'm slowly starting to realize why these reels are so popular, and why they will never become extinct like the Asian counterparts :)

Irish Jigger

paal,
I spoke to my Penn parts supplier today who said that has no more Spinfishers SS models left and that they are becoming very scarce in the UK.
I have a Factory Reconditioned Spinfisher 7500 SS (4.6:1 ratio) which he sold me last year and which I never spooled or fished.(I have far too many reels ;)) He assures me that it has the naval brass main gear and stainless steel pinion.
I would sell this reel for what it cost me (£75.)
If you are interested I will check the gear materials and post some Pics.