Shimano Bantam Mag 250SG...

Started by steelheadman, February 18, 2013, 03:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadman

Is this reel a good one...or is it an early Shimano that ran its course? Is $140.00 too for a never used, new in the box with all brochures and parts included?

Bryan Young

Sorry, I have never fished it, but the cost seems rather high unless you are a collector of Shimano fishing equipment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

I had the chance of playing with a used Bantam Mag plus and I was impressed by its smoothness and ease of operation. For me the price is right for a reel in mint condition. If you plan to fish with it do a thorough service and  change the drag washers with carbonfiber ones and grease them with Cal's or Shimano drag grease. Although is an old reel it can go toe to toe with the modern baitcasters.
In solid fiberglass we trust

George4741

I have a 251, the LH version.  I don't remember what I paid for it new in the late 1980's, but I'm sure it was quite a bit less than $100.  It is the only baitcaster I've ever used so I can't compare it to anything else, but I like it. 
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

brand new, in the box, original bill of sale, never spooled?  ok, $140.  otherwise, no.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

If you are buying it for a collection or display, then it's fine.

If you intend to fish with it, then consider a newer model Shimano that has more modern technology, is smoother, and will last a bit longer
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.