Penn 114H Black & Penn Aluminum Frame

Started by coonhound, February 18, 2013, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhound

Just saw a 114H in black for sale.  I know that Penn made a few 114Hs with black side plates, but does anyone know the dates? The reel I'm looking at has a full aluminum frame made by Penn with Black 114H side plates.  Any thoughts?

And don't tell me it's junk and then outbid me  :P ;D

akfish

I believe the very first 114Hs were black before they were maroon. If the one you are looking at has an aluminum frame, then the frame was added later -- something that happens very often with Penn reels. One thing to consider: If the sideplates are the old type (and I'm almost certain they must be) then the left side bearing is smaller and different than the bearings used today. How long you will be able to buy them is anybody's guess. The old style left side bearings for the 113H are already discontinued.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

i think the guy is not describing it accurately.  the frame says 114h for sure, but the right side plate photos are so blurry that you can't tell what the reel is.  i'm betting that it's a plain black side plate 114 low speed reel with a 114h frame.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

It is the H model, one of the shots shows a ball bearing, not bushing.
Not original though, those came with frame posts, not aluminum frame.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coonhound

Thanks for the replies.  Making sure there wasn't a special edition from Penn that had black side plates with the aluminum frame.

dogtagger

The reel doesn't have an aluminum spool, and the seller says "custom built reel". It's an interesting reel with the Penn frame and black side plates. I bought one on the standard 114s (not the H model) with the full aluminum frame a couple of years ago and really like it. It was almost new when I got it. Too bad Penn only made them one year, as the frame is a very nice upgrade IMO.

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 18, 2013, 10:18:15 PM
It is the H model, one of the shots shows a ball bearing, not bushing.
Not original though, those came with frame posts, not aluminum frame.
I would also wonder if someone painted the plates. I would want it in my hands for a personal inspection before I would bid on it or buy it. If they have a return policy, maybe take a chance.   Rudy  ???

George4741

Another thing, the plates have 5 screws like the new Chinese Senators, not the older 8 screw sideplates.  I'd be leery of this one.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Didn't notice that George,...good eye. The plates still look like the real thing to me, he's probably covering the rest of the holes with those Chinese rings :-\. Either way, I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

If it's the one I saw with the out of focus photos I'd stay clear of it at $95.00.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain