Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag 2-Speeds

Started by flyliner, December 15, 2009, 07:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyliner

I haven't seen anything here on them.  I am considering the Saltist 20 LD 2-Speed.  Although most of what I have heard was positive, two people have told me that they have had problems with the 2-speed shifting mechanism failing under heavy load.

Does anyone have an experience with these reels?  Alan, have you gotten your hands on any of them yet? 

Thanks,
Jonathan

alantani

i have a full tutorial on the single speed reel already shot.  i just need some time to do the write up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lois

just did a service on this reel (Saltist LD 30T 2 speed). lots of little parts. not for the faint-hearted...

also, i can see why the 2-speed might mess up. lots of the "little parts" are in the 2-speed system.

jonathan.han

Like any reel that is not maintained properly, I've seen the shifting mechanism get sticky or stuck on a lot of brands. The trickiest part is getting the AR ratchet back on when mating the right sideplate with the frame during reassembly. After a few times, it's not so bad.

I own a LD30II. It has worked out pretty well for me except that most of the bearings corroded after the 3rd week and about 8 trips with it. I did fish it out of the box! I got it when they first came out and since then, they have greased the reel heavily from the factory. I am not noticing the corroded bearings like I did 3 years ago in the reels I have been doing (A commercial fishing buddy of mine bought 7!). I have the one and have not had any problems. The AR system is not great, but it's been holding up well and haven't had problems from it since I serviced mine 2 years ago. They are light and they do what a fishing reel is supposed to do. Nothing spectacular, but it's basically the same design as an Avet, but with a bigger pinion bearing and a ratchety lever. Just do the typical greased drags, etc. service protocol on them regularly and you shouldn't have problems. Would I buy another? Probably not unless it was a steal of a price
raw instinct

GregE

My Saltist LD 20 2 Speed has pulled in a couple dozen albacore but got real still last trip.  No free spin even backing off the drag adjustment.  Can't find a tutorial on it.  Made in Mexico on the reel seat.

I read your LD20 tutorial and think it could be followed for this model leaving the selector button portion on the handle alone.  Or, are there other 'small parts to fear' in the main spool area?

Is there some external lube/ oil ports I should be attentive too?

First post though I thought I'd signed on several years ago....
Greg

alantani

tough reel.  the shifter mechanism is a little tricky.  i usually have joey work on them, or jim nomura.   :-\

GregE

The shifter button is sticky and I'm not going to try to fix that.  My hope was to follow the single speed section and clean, lube to free up the spool.  Can that work without messing with the two speed selector?  Guessing there is another gear in there.

Where is the contact info for Joey and Jim Nomura?
Greg

alantani

if you want to send it here, you can.  either joey or i can go through it.  i'll send you a pm.  thanks!  alan

GregE

Got the Daiwa LD 20 reel back from Alan Tani  and very glad I sent it in to him!!

Great spool runout  and the shift button works again.  Now if I could jus use it.  Hanging on through this storm....
Greg

Jon_Kol

Is the Saltist LD2 trickier than the Saltiga LD2?