Started by Mike La Franchie, February 20, 2013, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike La Franchie

Hi
i found an old 112 in my dads garage.
3 of the 4 sideplate rings are broken
both outer ones and one inner.

do i NEED to replace the outer rings?
At $11 each from scotts these are the straw thats breaks the camels back, making the parts cost more than this reel  is  worth to me.

If i am careful not to overtighten the side plate screws, do you think it  will work ok?

on another topic, from my learnings on this forum i got a broken reel working, put it on a new rod, took it to the local wharf and within 30 minutes had landed a 25lb kingfish. the freshly repaired okuma convector handled a kingi of this size well.

It felt good to test tackle i repaired to its limits, and have it perform well.

I only fish on days ending with Y

Tile

I would get all the replacement frame rings for the 112 because they will some day run out.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

well, honestly, no.  the rings broke because the plastic side plate swelled up.  it's common with older reels.  save them.  someday we will be able to weld them back together and rechrome them. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

Tighten them down to the normal torque & go fishing. They will still have good support & protection.    Rudy

Mike La Franchie

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2013, 07:07:26 PM
well, honestly, no.  the rings broke because the plastic side plate swelled up.  it's common with older reels.  save them.  someday we will be able to weld them back together and rechrome them. 
Now that would require a very skilled welder.
I only fish on days ending with Y