My new 113h

Started by basto, February 21, 2013, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

This was the reel when I first purchased it. You probably noticed the handle nut retaining screw is missing in the first photo.
When I put the new SS gear sleeve in , the handle nut would not screw down tight on the handle, so I put a belville type washer under the nut to take up the space.
I kinda like this idea better than a retaining screw that dictates how far you do the nut up. The only negative is the empty retaining screw hole.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

The stock reel is very nice.  When you start with good roots, you get excellence.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 08, 2013, 02:12:05 PM
The stock reel is very nice.  When you start with good roots, you get excellence.
I couldn't have said it better myself ;)

Nice reel Basto, yes you definitely need a new handle, you're not allowed to stop there ;D.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

And thanks again for your information Sal.

Dominick

Love the older non handle side plate with the rough water and jumping bill fish.   The newer models don't have the water.  I guess they thought that cleaner lines looked better but what do they know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

Quote from: Pescachaser on April 09, 2013, 12:01:08 AM
Love the older non handle side plate with the rough water and jumping bill fish.   The newer models don't have the water.  I guess they thought that cleaner lines looked better but what do they know.  Dominick
Yes, I`m with you on that one.

slgriffiths

Basto, really nice job, and beautiful reel...

I have 1 112H, 2 113h'S and 2 114H's with those lovely butterscotch handles - had to pay quite a lot for them too, and took a while to find.
I could never change them.  I think they are wonderful, and so evocative of Penns.  A little bit small, maybe, but so good looking.
Don't change it!

If you are going to  fish it (which is what it is for, of course) put on the "fightin'" handle, sure, but keep the original, so you can put it back on after you've cleaned the reel, and look at it...

Simon

Mandelstam

Beautiful reel! I hope my 113h will look as good as that someday! Good work!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

basto

Quote from: slgriffiths on April 09, 2013, 05:41:16 AM
Basto, really nice job, and beautiful reel...

I have 1 112H, 2 113h'S and 2 114H's with those lovely butterscotch handles - had to pay quite a lot for them too, and took a while to find.
I could never change them.  I think they are wonderful, and so evocative of Penns.  A little bit small, maybe, but so good looking.
Don't change it!

If you are going to  fish it (which is what it is for, of course) put on the "fightin'" handle, sure, but keep the original, so you can put it back on after you've cleaned the reel, and look at it...
Simon

Hi Simon
Yes ,I said previously that the handgrip looks like a piece of carved marble.
I would like my next project to be a narrow 114h. I have a liking for low gear ratios and tall spools. We are so fortunate that people like Tiburon make these great frames that enhance the performance and looks of these old classic PENNS.

basto

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 09, 2013, 05:52:12 AM
Beautiful reel! I hope my 113h will look as good as that someday! Good work!

/Karl
Thanks Karl. Stick with your project mate. You will have something unique and something to cherish.
All the best with it.
Basto