My new 113h

Started by basto, February 21, 2013, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

My new 113h is an early model maroon sideplated, large drag access holed, stone drag washered, all post framed beauty.

After some very generous advice from one of our members here, I told him I was going to leave it stock because I liked the original look, especially that lovely amber coloured handgrip that looks like a piece of carved marble.

The drag washers aren`t really stone...I think they are asbestos. They are very thick and very hard....and there is only room for 3.
I think this reel is the same model 113h that Alan did his 113/114 tutorial on. 1963-1983?(the reel, not the tutorial)

Anyhow, I have relented a bit and decided to buy the aluminium spool, the carbon drag kit and a couple new sideplate rings and screws. I don`t think I could bear to change it`s appearance any more than that, and the only reason I got the new spool was because of the weight saving.

I still havn`t been able to find a schematic of this 113h with the 3 drag washers. A 113 yes, but not a 113h.
I was surprised to find steel gears. Are the main and pinion made from the same steel?

I do have a Baja, but have always wanted an old school 113h in original form. I was very lucky to find one in good condition in Australia.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Cone

Congradulations Basto. Don't forget to change the washer under the gear for a carbon fiber. I have several of the 113h's with the easy access drags. On two of them the gear rubbed the sideplate with a Penn washer under the gear. Dawn has some thin carbontex washers that may keep it from rubbing and having to dremel the sideplates.  One of Alan's ss sleeves would be a good addition too. Don't forget to post a pic. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

the pinion gear is hardened stainless, the main gear is plain carbon steel and will rust.  get a 5 drag kit and you'll be fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

Thanks for your replies guys...I`m learning all the time.

Alto Mare

I believe a few do have the ss gears.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hi Sal
I think this one`s main gear is carbon as it is more greyish in colour than the pinion. It does not have any rust on it though as it is very well greased. It has a brass coloured inner ring. It also seems to have not worn much and is in quite good condition.
Do you know if these carbon gears did wear well?

Alto Mare

Slap some grease on those and you will be fine. How we service reels today, rust should not be an issue on those.
By the way, I tried rusting them out by placing them in a cup of water for two weeks and wasn't able to :-\, other metal parts did rust.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Very interesting. There is always something to learn about older reels.
cheers
Basto

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: basto on February 21, 2013, 11:33:31 AM
Hi Sal
I think this one`s main gear is carbon as it is more greyish in colour than the pinion. It does not have any rust on it though as it is very well greased. It has a brass coloured inner ring. It also seems to have not worn much and is in quite good condition.
Do you know if these carbon gears did wear well?
Mine are fine, ive got the same reel as you. Those drag washers are like stone :D thyere pretty nasty overall. I kept my chrome spool, i need the extra capacity for 25 mono, and 50ft topper of 50lb mono, and a smoker pier king. A man can dream........... ;D
Grayson Lanier

basto

OK, I have relented further and bought a SS gear sleeve and a topless T4 Tiburon frame, but I am definitly not changing the handle.
well, I don`t think so........
cheers
Basto

Mandelstam

Quote from: basto on April 07, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
OK, I have relented further and bought a SS gear sleeve and a topless T4 Tiburon frame, but I am definitly not changing the handle.
cheers
Basto

I know the feeling.. :) You love your little puppies and you can't keep your hands off them. I wonder where a reel's soul resides, so you can leave that alone..

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

George4741

Quote from: basto on April 07, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
cheers
Basto

Alan's 6/0 Kolekar handle is very nice. ;) ;D
Cheers, George
viurem lliures o morirem

basto

[/IMG]

and I might put a jigging master T-bar handle on it . I have one that is silver and gold, should work well.

basto

basto

I like the drag`s top plate on this old model. It is thick and rigid. Reminds me of the Cal`s top plate that I put in my Torium. It could probably benefit from lapping.
I also like the steel gears in this model. The ones in this reel are like new.