Daiwa Luna 300...can I squeeze anymore drag out of it?

Started by BrokeLoser, February 22, 2013, 03:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokeLoser

I'd like to turn it in to a 25# class reel that I can use for even yellows up to say 30# safely.
I've heard of different tricks that people use to increase drag pressure in some reels....such as adding washers or changing to larger washers...etc.
Is their anything that can be done to the 300?

Thanks!

Reelz

I would upgrade the OEM drags to carbontex. Gonna give you bit more drag. Fill it up with 40-50 lb sprectra and a short 25-30 top shop and you should be good to go. You can also use saltist/sealine handle for more cranking power.

nelz

Ron Jones

I think this reel has the same gears and shaft as my Millionaire CS-Vs. I've upgrades those with jigmaster HT-100 drags. Their is plenty of room on the shaft of my 30, some day I'm going to try a 5+1 on it.

A jigmaster will fish 25# all day long, so the standard swap should give you what you need.

My 20 is a little rocket. Solid aluminum frame, HT-100 jigmaster drag and level wind removed. I actually haven't mastered casting this reel. I can get great distance out of it but when I really get after it I get a HUGE birds nest.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Huh? Are you talking about pushing a Luna 300 or another reel? My Luna's upgraded drag is very capable of doing 25#, but Alan's saying he wouldn't put that kind of pressure on the gears. Don't know if I'd want to push the AR that high either, since the Luna has no backup system.