New HD Penn spinner in the oven?

Started by paal, February 23, 2013, 08:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Over at the SOL forum, they have a subforum where Penn folks answer questions. When challenged on the gear material on the SSV, they replied this:

" ... That being said, we are working on a solution for the more aggressive anglers that require a heavy duty gear train...please know that you're request is not going unheard but the solution isn't going to be cheap.

It pains me to plug the competition but we're now having a very open conversation...."

Seems to me they are developing a new heavy duty spinner? If so, my guess is that it will be a boat reel. They already have the fully sealed Torque, and the moderately sealed SSV, so they are covered for the surf. But there's no spinner that is optimized for jigging in Penns spinner family. One that can be jigged all day with a minimum of effort (you don't want seals for that, because of the added friction). A US made Stella/Saltiga killer would be nice :)

Cone

I think they will have to do something. The Alan Hawk review of the ssv's will kill some sales. I was going to buy one but I will wait to see how they address the problem. If a company rates a reel for a certain drag then the pinion threads shouldn't give out at lower drag settings. They will miss out on some sales until they fix the problem. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

coonhound

Definitely needed.  I wanted to do some jigging this summer, assuming gas prices dont continue this rise  :o, and my options are really Shimano and Daiwa.

paal

Quote from: Cone on February 24, 2013, 12:23:44 AM
I think they will have to do something. The Alan Hawk review of the ssv's will kill some sales. I was going to buy one but I will wait to see how they address the problem. If a company rates a reel for a certain drag then the pinion threads shouldn't give out at lower drag settings. They will miss out on some sales until they fix the problem. Bob
Yes, I think so to. Many people are watching them. They obviously did a lot of testing with high drag. Also, Kilsong had very good experience with his SSV under high drag. So I guess Alans finding is more a quality issue than the design itself? And to be fair, quality issues can happen to anyone. The important thing is how they handle it. I just hope the engineers win through with their plans to introduce a HD spinner, and doesn't get shut down by marketing department setting a hard limit at a low price point or something silly like that :)

Paal

Irish Jigger

Having read Alan Hawk's review I came to the conclusion that "Mechanical Assembly" as used by the makers of this reel may have caused overlapping of threads between spindle and spool lock nut causing the spool to loosen. Simple problem to solve but a greater one for Penn's sales people when launching a new reel.
Just my 2 Yuan's worth. ;)

I took the reps statement differently.  I suspect they are just developing a decent gear train for the models the SOL guys keep crying about. Taking that Penns mother company now opened up the Revo Pro Shop store to offer upgrades and bling.  I suspect Penn will have the same type of offering. A store with bigger handles, blinggy eva grip paddles, reel covers and a gear of brass or bronze you can switch out the pot metal ones for.  Pure Fishing seems to be developing a base where Abu and Penn are the upper end and Pheleuger and Shakesphere take up the lower.

paal

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 24, 2013, 11:45:22 AM
Having read Alan Hawk's review I came to the conclusion that "Mechanical Assembly" as used by the makers of this reel may have caused overlapping of threads between spindle and spool lock nut causing the spool to loosen. Simple problem to solve but a greater one for Penn's sales people when launching a new reel.
Just my 2 Yuan's worth. ;)

What is the exchange rate these days, anyway? :D

Quote from: 0119 on February 24, 2013, 03:16:09 PM
I took the reps statement differently.  I suspect they are just developing a decent gear train for the models the SOL guys keep crying about. Taking that Penns mother company now opened up the Revo Pro Shop store to offer upgrades and bling.  I suspect Penn will have the same type of offering. A store with bigger handles, blinggy eva grip paddles, reel covers and a gear of brass or bronze you can switch out the pot metal ones for.  Pure Fishing seems to be developing a base where Abu and Penn are the upper end and Pheleuger and Shakesphere take up the lower.
Yes, I agree. But in another thread, the same Penn guy says that they have new spinner in development that will cater to those with higher requirements, and it wouldn't be called Spinfisher. So I put two and two together. But it would of course be very nice with upgraded gears for the spinfisher too, and you might be right that this is what he meant with the statement above :)