Spooling Power Pro

Started by Redfish King, February 23, 2013, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Waxed spool with pure carnuba wax.  then 2 layers of flexwrap bandage, then 2 wraps of double line created by bimini twist knot to single line for spooling. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Jimmer on February 24, 2013, 01:18:42 AM
Doesn't that reel have a pinned spool? If it is, just tie on the pin and no worries.

Even if a spool has a pin, I won't tie off to it because I have no idea how well the pin is anchored.

I will make a loop or two around the spool and then tie the arbor knot. I slide the loops over next to the pin and tighten the line real good. Then as I start to spool line on I'll put the running line (from the source spool) on the other side of the pin, it catches, and the results are no slippage. The line is still anchored around the spool and I don't use the pin for anything other than a way to start the line winding.

When I load braid on I almost always use mono as my base wraps. I've spooled a few reels using Jerry Brown's method of laying the tail from the tie-off knot across the arbor and wrapping the braid tight over it in nice, even, side-by-side wraps. Once the first layer is on the arbor, I trim the excess tail and load the spool with about 6-8 pounds of drag. No issues yet.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bucktail

If you're using mono, it doesn't really matter what kind of knot you tie.  Once you get ten or so turns on it that line won't slip.  Then you can tie on your braid, again, with whatever knot you like.  If you have a fish dump however many hundreds of yards of line off your spool and it takes you to the bare spool, chances are you're not going to catch that fish anyway, no matter what knot you tied.  Either he's going to snap the line or your rod (and possibly you with it) is going in the water. ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

CapeFish

Rather tie proper knots so the chances are higher of your leader knot breaking instead of the line breaking on the spool and you end up losing all your line.

You really ought to try avoiding using backing filler like I said before.  There is just no need. Tape and mono will trap water and the salt will corrode your spool.  Just 5 or 6 wraps and then uni knot it, check out Jose Weibe's video on it on youtube.  More expensive line wise but cheaper than a new spool.

Keta

Not if you use flexwrap (sportwrap, vetwrap) it's waterproof.  I've seen several "drag failures" caused by improperly filled spools. 
As for tape and mono holding water, spectra does it far more then either.
I prefer 20'-30' of Dacron.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on July 09, 2013, 02:07:59 PM
Not if you use flexwrap (sportwrap, vetwrap) it's waterproof.  I've seen several "drag failures" caused by improperly filled spools. 
As for tape and mono holding water, spectra does it far more then either.
I prefer 20'-30' of Dacron.

Didn't Penn instructions used to indicate dacron backing when spooling mono? I remember that on the first conventional reel I bought new. It was a 309, in 1975.

I still have dacron backing on nearly all of my reels, even the ambassadors. I guess I'm kind of strange.  8)

Central Florida

Keta

Quote from: floating doc on September 01, 2013, 12:49:53 PM

I still have dacron backing on nearly all of my reels, even the ambassadors. I guess I'm kind of strange.  8)

Me too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Either Dacron or electric tape, soak your line in FRESH water overnight, then pack it on with atleast 10lbs of drag. I use more, and wax the spool. And trash the PP, it sucks for big stuff. Breaks to easy under 200lb. The braid will dry and shrink making it solid to the spool.
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 01, 2013, 05:38:09 PM
Either Dacron or electric tape, soak your line in FRESH water overnight, then pack it on with atleast 10lbs of drag. I use more, and wax the spool. And trash the PP, it sucks for big stuff. Breaks to easy under 200lb. The braid will dry and shrink making it solid to the spool.

Trash the PP? What braid would you advise using? I'm going to be spooling a jigging reel in a few weeks.
Central Florida

Keta

I use some 40lb PP Ace Hollow and haven't had problems with it but most of my Spectra is Jerry Brown Line One with some Izor.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Either jb or suffix, power pro has been junk for me in smaller solid sizes. I use 300lb hollow, and it's pretty good
Grayson Lanier