Spooling Power Pro

Started by Redfish King, February 23, 2013, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

Do I really need to use tape before starting to spool Power Pro ? I really hate to use up the space and I plan on putting it on with 10 lbs of drag.Also if I use more than 10 lbs of drag do I risk damaging my spool.The reel is old school 9/0 penn w/ heavy brass and chrome spool- spooling w/100lb.

akfish

Yes, you really do need tape. Just a couple wraps won't take up much room at all. I suspect you'll be able to get somehting like 1000 yrds of 100# spectra on that reel. And no, you won't ruin an old 9/0 with Power Pro.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JasonF

The other option, and IMO the better option, being tie on a layer or two of mono tied into your PP.

akfish

Mono works too. And with a reel the size of a 9/0, it might be a good,and money-saving option to wind on 50 or 100 yards of 80# mono before the Power Pro.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

On some reels I use a Flexx Rap type of tape. On others I double wrap the spectra around the spool then tie a San Diego knot to secure the line. Make sure to take note on which way the line will come off the spool when making your doudle wrap and tying your knot. When done right the knot will tighten down onto the spectra wrapped around the spool and with the more force applied the double wrap with grip the spool tighter and tighter and you won't need to use tape.

Redfish King

Thanks for the info--I got the reel spooled i layed down about 50 yards of 80 berkly big game then 300 yards of power pro and topped off with 200 yards 80 lb again.I think I got 550 yards on that reel.I have 2 more to go.I started the power Pro with 9 lbs of drag for a few hundred feet  the spool was so tight (the line being spooled) that I backed off to about 3 lbs and the line went on fine-nice and tight.I dont see the big fuss over 30 % of line strength for the spooling drag pressure.Even 10 lbs seemed overkill to me.I actually my have gotten more line than I think--I was using some cheap line counter that kept screwing up--very cheap crap ! Anybody know where to get a good line counter that works?Thanks again for the good info.

Cone

If spectra is too loose on the spool, when you put a lot of drag pressure on the line it will dig in and bury itself in the top layers. This will break you off. It should feel like a rock on the spool. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Jimmer

Doesn't that reel have a pinned spool? If it is, just tie on the pin and no worries.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Redfish King on February 24, 2013, 12:10:41 AM
Thanks for the info--I got the reel spooled i layed down about 50 yards of 80 berkly big game then 300 yards of power pro and topped off with 200 yards 80 lb again.I think I got 550 yards on that reel.I have 2 more to go.I started the power Pro with 9 lbs of drag for a few hundred feet  the spool was so tight (the line being spooled) that I backed off to about 3 lbs and the line went on fine-nice and tight.I dont see the big fuss over 30 % of line strength for the spooling drag pressure.Even 10 lbs seemed overkill to me.I actually my have gotten more line than I think--I was using some cheap line counter that kept screwing up--very cheap crap ! Anybody know where to get a good line counter that works?Thanks again for the good info.

Check the web most of the good counters that are used on line winding machines run around $80-$100 USD. Gary Sato sells one on his website, just scroll down a little and you will see it.
http://satocrimpandwinder.com/linewinder.htm

paal

Quote from: Redfish King on February 24, 2013, 12:10:41 AM
Thanks for the info--I got the reel spooled i layed down about 50 yards of 80 berkly big game then 300 yards of power pro and topped off with 200 yards 80 lb again.I think I got 550 yards on that reel.I have 2 more to go.I started the power Pro with 9 lbs of drag for a few hundred feet  the spool was so tight (the line being spooled) that I backed off to about 3 lbs and the line went on fine-nice and tight.I dont see the big fuss over 30 % of line strength for the spooling drag pressure.Even 10 lbs seemed overkill to me.I actually my have gotten more line than I think--I was using some cheap line counter that kept screwing up--very cheap crap ! Anybody know where to get a good line counter that works?Thanks again for the good info.
I have a 'Ryobi A/D checker' that I bought in the 90's. It's the only one that has stood up to heavy use over time....

You do not need any backing nor tape to spool on superlines.  Go to youtube and check out Jose Wiebe's channel.  Mono absorbs water, stays wet, leads to corrosion of your spool since it is covered by the superline and not allowed to dry properly.  Tape also can trap water.  Watch how Wiebe does it, its simple and it works 100% of the time, Ive done it on a dozen reels.   Simply wrap the line around the spools arbor 5 times then tie a uni knot.

Keta

Quote from: Redfish King on February 23, 2013, 05:03:25 PM
..... I really hate to use up the space.....

Depending on the spool size you are only loosing 20'-30' of line.  Flex Wrap compresses to much thinner than the thickness of the line you are using.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

In the UK there are very few professional spooling services (none that I have found trustworthy). Particularly with braid I use a simple home made jig:

I wind the line onto one reel. Then set the drag (depends on breaking strain - usually about 10lbs for approx 30-50 spectra). Clip the chosen reel onto the other end of the plank. Then wind on the line, as tightly as possible, with the chosen drag setting. It takes time but it's foolproof. I now need to find a motor and handle system to do it for me :D. My chosen method of stopping braid from slipping is to bind a couple of layers of self-almagamating tape (E-Z Fuse tape in the US) to the spool. This tape is incredibly flexible and remains pliable for years (it's also completely waterproof)! Then 3 turns around the spool and finish with an arbor knot (leave a long tag end for extra security).

alantani

i use tape or flex wrap.  not needed if there is a pin, but i always use something routinely.  it will certainly not hurt. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

The 3M Scotch 23 works well for me. After 2 layer of the tape,  I generally coat the spool with a thin layer of silicon grease.