Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

borchcl

This has been a most interesting thread. If there are EDM shops in your area, Inserts could be wire cut both outside, with lugs or whatever, and inside features of almost any shape. As well, a die sinker could burn hex shapes directly to the inside of gears, regardless of metal. Just another idea in an already well thought out project.
Charlie

Alto Mare

Here I'm showing the 5-113H Newell 4:1 SS gear

As you can see it can be done freehand by using a dremel. However,  I do not recommend anyone to do so.
These gears are extremely hard, it's a constant battle trying to keep the bit from bouncing around.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Doc,nice insert, well designed and made.
Sal, you have the patience of Job, very impressive work on that Newell SS gear.

Jimmer

A lot of of really interesting stuff here, I like the idea of the hex insert, if it was made to the size of a commonly available nut cutting or grinding CF washers accuratly would be a breeze.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

Great thread Sal (and Doc), really enjoying this one ;) ;D
Thanks lads.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Alan, I just received the 6-525 washer that you sent, thank you for always being there for us, I appreciate it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Very impressive work Sall.Keep it coming.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

I'm back ;D.
Ok I decided to put these washers to a little test, this is what I came up with:

The hexagon washers failed within 6lb of pressure, no drag what so ever.
the washer under the gear didn't add anything to the drag, along with the first washer at the bottom of the stack.
That washer at the bottom did keep its shape, but useless.
Doc's sleeve will work nicely with the hexagon drags...that's why he's the doctor and I'm just a patient ;D

I took the testing outdoors, didn't feel like repairing the ceiling.
i decided to use a heavy rod for the test

made a little contraption by the tree house

placed three bricks in a bucket

and lifted the bucket by turning the handle, if some of you think that this is an esy task, give it a shot

I'm trying to show how much that heavy rod got bent

spring scale is spot on with the digital scale

I also did a pulling test and the 40lb line gave up at around 24lb

checked the gears and everything else, I'm not sure if you can see how much Cal's got squeezed out by the pressure

these drags held up fine on this one

My conclusion is that if you get as close as possible to the shape of the gear cutouts, you should be fine.
I'm happy with the results, I do want to mention that the handle nut was resisting as I was trying to unscrew it, I was able to unscrew it with my fingers prior to the test. This is telling me that there is a lot of stress there, but didn't see any imperfections with the tip of brass sleeve. Nothing that a ss sleeve can't fix ;)
Sal

Cone

Good info Sal. Your our mad scientist. ;) Bob

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Jigger

Keep up the good work Sal,nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Alto Mare

I wanted to get to the max drags on these washers, so I put everything back together and added some heavy line.
Went back to my spot and this is what i got:

With the star almost all the way tight, I got 35lb. I want to mention that this test is done by bending the rod by pulling down on the line, not by pulling straight out. I did try by pulling straight out and I got almost 50lb. This is not accurate, you need to get that rod to bend.
I was amazed to see that just moving the star a hair more from that setting, it would gane an additional 5lb, but  I wasn't able to make the spool go around, just a quarter of a turn.
It is safe to say that this reel with the 1+4 washers will give you 35lb of max drags, yes I was able to make the spool go around a couple of times. I'm not sure how it will handle on the water, but can't wait to give it a shot.
I wouldn't go with this set up without a one piece frame, ss dogs and ss sleeve. The reel tested had the double dogs, but not ss.
I hope this will be of some interest, the guys that came up with this design made me a believer.
They were able to remove one washer and almost double up on the drags...not bad.
Enjoy! Sal

Alto Mare

Dominick, you need to send the Tank back to me, I'll pay for all shipping costs.
I need to put the groved ss gears in there, and send it right back to you.
Sal

BMITCH

Sal, your an artist with the dremel. I'm really thinking of going back in on my 113H and doing the same. You are an inspiration. Keep the ideas coming. Is it possible to fit the fiber washer from the baja special if dremeled correctly?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

Sal, pretty soon I'm gonna be watching a pro shark tournament on the fishing network, and see some guy using your custom Penn tank for catching monster mako out of Cali (where the BIG mako roam).
Your amazing,
Dom