Broken stud - older 30VSW

Started by ReelShocker2012, February 25, 2013, 07:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelShocker2012

OK ... newbie here (but not usually mechanically challenged) ..

I'm getting my gear ready for the year and have taken several of my 30VSW's apart and rebuilt them (thank you Alan for the great "how to" stuff).  Last night when I went to remove one of the two clamp studs, one broke right at the reel base.  There wasn't much meat that was left so I ground it down flat ... drilled a pilot and attempted to remove what was left in the reel with an extractor.  After some break free .. heat and a few beers .. no can do....

So my question is, what is the plan from here?  Drill and tap a new screw?  threaded insert?  I'm sure I'm not the first so let me know what I can do to salvage this.  Tap size? 

Thanks in advance, Tim

alantani

uggghhhhh!!!!!  i hate these.  that reminds me. i need to get a small propane torch, or this stuff.  i've had some luck with it. 

http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelShocker2012

That wasn't my first response :)   I'll try the locktite stuff but don't think I'm going to have much luck. 

Had any luck drilling and tapping? larger bolt? threaded insert?

kamuwela

before going larger i would try the loctite or tsi 301 works for me. if you have a drill press and and can drill it as close to the threads without damaging them an extractor should work or a punch and knock the material inwards till you can peel it out. last option is helicoil

Robert Janssen

...or drill slightly larger than the A/F size of an appropriate hex wrench, quite deeply. Press / hammer the wrench in there; sometimes you'll get enough torque to get the job done.

Ken_D

AF = across the flats ?  Just making sure. thx, ken.

ReelShocker2012

Appreciate all the help from everyone ...  Update ... No budging the old stud with any lube, freeze spray or brute force.  Brought it to work .. one of my guys drilled it undersize (a little bit bigger than my hole to try the easyout) and tapped a new thread right into the existing hole.  Brought a stud with me and everything looks good and tightens up well.  Only test will be the wahoo or tuna! 

Thanks again for all the assistance!  ... "Never run out of airspeed, altitude or ideas at the same time!"

RowdyW

I hope you put plenty of marine grease in the threaded holes.

Cone

I've never tried it on a aluminum frame before but I've had some luck on larger bolts by putting a nut over the broken piece and taking a mig welder and welding the inside to the broken stud. The heat from welding helps break it loose and you can use a wrench to turn it after its welded on. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD