Pelagic 300L Extreme Charter Pro Lever Drag Reel

Started by Sven Golly, February 25, 2013, 08:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven Golly

This just arrived - $80 including shipping. I think it's made by Omoto but not sure. Levelwind, solid machined aluminum frame. I've never taken anything like this apart. I've done my old Penn Beachmasters plus a few spinning reels.

Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems pretty beefy on the surface. Based on other comments about the few Omoto reels that pop up, I probably should dive into it a do the bearings and drag but the levelwind scares me a bit.  ;)

Gear by Okuma, Daiwa, Stroker, Shimano and a Chinese knock-off.

Black Pearl

This is the old OMOTO KAM 300. I don't really care for it.

Sven Golly

Oh lol. Well I got in a moment of weakness. What don't you like about it? Is it even worth keeping?

Irish Jigger

Sorry Sven,but I would never buy anything with a peel off sticker. :'(
Pay peanuts ,get a monkey. Get rid of it before you soon discover that spares are unavailable.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Sven Golly on February 26, 2013, 04:18:52 AM
Oh lol. Well I got in a moment of weakness. What don't you like about it? Is it even worth keeping?

I tested that reel before. You need to do a service every 6 months, otherwise, it will lock up. You might consider to change out the drag washer. It is using a Teflon material. I will install a carbon drag washer. This reel will give around 9 to 11 lbs of drag.

As for parts, I know that OMOTO still has parts available.

Sven Golly

@Irish not sure what you  mean - there are no peel off stickers except on the box. Some of my Daiwas and Okumas were sold that way too.

@BlackPearl -- I'll check the washers. The few other boards I went to said the drag was very smooth. Probably the problem would be overheating in extended use? I'll tear it about tomorrow and see what I see.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Sven Golly on February 26, 2013, 04:43:24 PM
@Irish not sure what you  mean - there are no peel off stickers except on the box. Some of my Daiwas and Okumas were sold that way too.

"Made In Taiwan"  on the Stand looks like a peel off sticker. ;)

Sven Golly

Oh ok. Made in Taiwan is also printed on the box. (Not a sticker). Not sure what all that means anyway. Taiwan is where a lot of the Omoto reels are/were made.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Sven Golly on February 26, 2013, 05:42:24 PM
Oh ok. Made in Taiwan is also printed on the box. (Not a sticker). Not sure what all that means anyway. Taiwan is where a lot of the Omoto reels are/were made.

Some people just don't like anything is made in Taiwan or China. Don't worry about them....

Sven Golly

I just thought I'd post a follow-up to this ancient post. I actually contacted Omoto last year and got 4 carbontex (wettable) drag washers from them that are direct fits into my Pelagic 300. The total cost was about $15. They shipped them with spare parts to their distributor in LA and the LA folks shipped them to me. Took about 2 months but woot! I haven't installed them yet because the Teflon drag has been working well for me on several party boats for 20 - 30 lb yellowfin. But my next teardown and lube, one is going in.