newbie 114H rebuild help

Started by mikey111k, February 28, 2013, 03:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey111k

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum and could use some help. I have looked around quite a bit and found most of my answers but im still stuck on a few things and want to confirm others.

I recently started to use some of my dads old 114H's and the other day the reel got hot so i decided to take it apart to investigate. After alot of cleaning i am ready to go back together.

Below are some pictures of what i have going on. I am planning to replace the drags with the carbontex drags. i assume i need to replace the metal washer also so i believe i need this kit, https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx, is this correct? For what i understand i also need a spare carbontex washer to go under the main gear. Can someone supply me with a part # for this? Also some more description of where it goes? Once i get the kit i believe i understand the stacking order of the drag washers. If you look at my pictures you will see three washers next to the side plate. The two metal ones are not flat and the red one i am assuming is the drag washer that goes under the main gear (which i will replace with the new one)? Where do the two smaller metal washers go?

I am aplnning to buy some cal's drag greas to put on the new drag set. Is this correct to do?

Thanks alot for the help.

Michael

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

RowdyW

Hi Michael, if you are getting the drag washer kit from Scott's it contains the metal washers & the HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers. You can also get the washer for under the main gear # 4-115 from Scott's. The thick curved washer goes on top of the top hat & under the star wheel w/curve facing up & the thin curved washer goes between the star wheel & the handle. I hope that explains it for you & welcome to the Forum.     Rudy

RowdyW

You can also get the Cal's drag grease from Scott's, the small container will be enough for many reels. Don't forget marine grease for the rest of the reel.    Rudy

Cone

Rudy, You might as well buy the kit. The drag washers with those old thick washers are thicker than the ones in the kit. Don't throw the old metals away, they might come in handy. It looks like you have a steel or possibly a ss main gear. You might consider a ss gear sleeve and dog from Alan. He is now selling them as a kit with a carbon fiber drag washer for under the gear and a ss dog. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

RowdyW

Hi Bob, its not me that is new to reel servicing & rebuilding, its Michael. I think until he gets comfortable with doing his first reel he should just stick with the basics first. He has more reels to do & then he can think about modifications as his knowledge of how everything works advances. Just my way of thinking.  ;D ;D     Rudy

Cone

sorry Rudy, Just having a senior moment.  :'( Your right, you have to walk first. I just wanted to point out that the reel he has has potential. It has a stronger gear set than the bronze gears and even with the bronze gears the tip of the gear sleave can round off at higher drag settings. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

mikey111k

Rudy and Bob, thanks so much for the input.

I have ordered the HT-100 kit (6-114HSP), a 4-115 washer and some of Cals grease from Scotts. If i understand correctly this should cover the drag upgrade.

Bob - Can you tell me more about the SS gear sleeve and dog from Alan? Is there a thread on here that talks about/describes this upgrade?

With the new drag set up should i expect to be getting higher drag output?

Is the SS gear sleeve and dog to upgrade the next weak link?

Thanks again

Michael 

mikey111k

After some more searching i found a thread that talks about the gear sleeve.

How recommended is this to do?

I am currently using these reels to high speed troll for wahoo. They have 80# braid and a topshot of 60# mono. When trolling the drag is probably about 70% tightened. I thought if you guys knew how i am using them you could give me some more input on the SS sleeve upgrade.

Thanks
Michael

RowdyW

Michael, the upgrade on the drags will give you all the power you will need for Wahoo. The s/s sleeve is an upgrade against rounding off the sleeve at the handle. I am using my 113H & 114H for Wahoo & King Mackeral with the stock sleeve & haven't run into any problems yet. If you want to go for all the upgrades then go for it. That would be a solid aluminum frame, s/s gear sleve, s/s dog[or double dogs], s/s pinion yoke, s/s accurate gears, handle & knob upgrade, etc, etc, OR buy a Penn 113HN Baja Special for less then half what it will cost to completely modify your 114H. By the way did you get my email to you about being sure you have the right model 114 ?. The photos look like black plates & if so it's not an H model & the parts are differant. Oh and there is also a 7+1 drag upgrade also.      ??? ??? ???     Rudy     ps set your drag at 1/3 your top shot # test.

Alto Mare

It is an H model Rudy, just look at the main gear.
I hot rodded my Firebird  when I was single ( a long time ago) I didn't drive around doing 200MPH. ;)
Michael, if it's within your budget, go for the full upgrades, these reels deserve it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikey111k

Rudy,

I just noticed your message. I am just going by what the side plates say and that is 'Penn Senator 114-H'.

What is the 7+1 drag set up? I already ordered the other kit but i'm interested to know what it is for future needs.

I'm thinking i wont add the SS gear sleeve right now. Ill keep an eye on them and maybe in the future i will upgrade.

Thanks again for all the help. Once the new drags show up i will probably post a pic to confirm that i'm assembling it right. When i test the new drag what numbers should i expect to see?

Michael

RowdyW

Probably about 30 lbs. of drag or close to it.   The 7+1 set up will give you about 10 more lbs. of drag, its usually about 5 lbs for each drag washer.     

Alto Mare

I'm thinking more like 21lb with the drags that you're showing. You'll get around 25lb with the 1+5 drag kit.
I wouldn't go with the 1+7  stack configuration, unless you're thinking of upgrading the frame posts to a one piece frame and the ss sleeve.
Might not be a good idea pushing that stock 6/0 over 30lb .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

for your reel, let's go with the plain brass gear sleeve and see how it holds up.  if there is some damage along the line, then you can see about a stainless gear sleeve.  for now, let's just wait.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikey111k

I think I'm going to stick with the 5+1 drags and hold off on the other upgrades. If i feel that I want more drag I will go onto the SS gear sleeve, 7+1 drag and an upgraded one piece frame. I'm thinking that I will be OK with the 5+1 drag set.

I do see how you can get sucked into modifying these reels. It seems like fun.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I'm excited to get the new gears and try them out.

Michael