extra drag surface larger ss & penn spinfishers

Started by surfcaster, March 04, 2013, 05:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Hi Great source of knowledge been more of a taker lately & haven't posted in the past few years I found that a ht 155 dragwasher fits exactly on penn drag knobs for the larger ss,& z series reels not quite  high tech Looking forward for new england winter to be over to get back out fishing.
Thank you everyone for a great source of knowledge.Richie

johndtuttle

Hey Ritchie cool idea to add some bling!  :)

That is a common site for splashes and spray to get into the drag so be sure to get good drag grease on there. If you keep the water out it looks really cool.

best regards

Cone

A drag washer on the drag knob will not add any more drag surface. The top washer in the drag stack is keyed to the shaft and stays fixed in relation to the drag knob. If an eared washer is on top your drag knob turns causing your drag to tighten as a fish runs. This is not a good thing to happen. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

surfcaster

[img][/img]
Good point, It might work with this brass style knob & cals grease so it floats
between fixed metal washer & the brass on the knob. Tight lines, Richie 668

paal

If you want extra drag surface on the spinfisher, how about making octagonal shape CF washers, and replace the octagonal steel washer with a keyed one?

Paal

Alto Mare

Paal, you just uncovered something that was sitting right under our nose.
These reels can take a little more drag, I've been trying to increase the drags on these  for some time now and never gave that a thought. good job!
This configuration should work nicely:
octagonal metal
octagonal C F
keyed metal washer
octagonal C F
keyed metal washer
octagonal C F
keyed metal
This is good, thanks Paal ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

Thanks Sal, but I would never have come up with this without reading your thread on this mod for the Senator :)

surfcaster

I saw a video on youtube that had a guy in japan mod a 750ss with what appeared to be jigmaster drags & pressed bearings in the spool.
& 9500ss style drag under the spool its still on there I just dont have the link

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!