320 GTi

Started by Thun, March 05, 2013, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thun

Hi

Thanks to Alan's tutorial, I recently broke down 8 320's and replaced the drags and dogs. One of them is driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's wrong. There is a lot of play in the spool with a noticeable, albeit small space on the left side between the spool and the plate. With the eccentric lever in free spool, the spool turns when the handle is cranked, but if I push the spool to the left, it doesn't turn when the handle is cranked. First I thought the spool shaft might be bent just enough to cause this so I replaced it with another spool...same problem. Then I replaced the eccentric cam spring with another...didn't help. I also replaced the tension control spring and that didn't help either. I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is.

Thanks
Ralph

alantani

the spool has to be shimmed so that it stays centered.  it sounds like your's is not.  check the right side spool cap adjustment knob.  you're missing some piece of something in there.   :-\

also, send me a pm with your address and i will mail you some teflon washers to shim the levelwind pawl. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Thun

Wow...your diagnosis was spot on. I had ordered some of the newer wider caps that are harder to lose and each one has two washers inside, a rubber one and a metal one. This cap was missing the rubber washer. I kept the old caps that had the washers in them so I added a rubber washer and problem solved. Thank you so much Allen!

Ralph Hayden

alantani

glad it worked.  i have your address and will send you a dozen shims. 

Thun

Thanks again Allen. And I didn't mean to imply that I didn't receive the washer when I ordered the kits. I distinctly remember each kit came with the cap, spring and both washers. The mistake was on my part, not theirs.

Bucktail

Alan,

I saw you mention these shims before.  Can you tell me how to order a few of those shims?  I am fixing up some of my friend's Penn reels (GTIs, GTOs and a 209) and I ordered some new pawls and cap screws from Scott's B&T, but none of them come with shims. 

I have no idea why they are needed, but if you say they are then I believe you. ;D

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

the pawl does not have enough upward pressure against the worm and it will "jump the tracks" under a heave load.  the shims prevent that.  send me a pm with your address and i will mail them out.   

Bucktail

I got mine yesterday.  And you were right when you said, "When you see them, you will be singularly unimpressed!" ;D 

I did install them and I'm sure it will be an improvement.

Thank you Alan.
-Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

it's so simple.  you'd think penn would have figured it out.   :-\