Penn 720/722 help

Started by CDShaddock, March 09, 2013, 04:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I'm at the same place ;D.

This is one of my favorite reel, so simple and yet so functional.
Maybe we should send it back to Penn, I believe they have forgotten how a reel should be.
Bob (Cone), is willing to paint it black for me, but I'm leaning towards clear coat.
This reel was disrespected, it will need lots of buffing, if I'm going that route.
I won't be fishing with it, I would just put it on a shelf.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

BMITCH

Cone Also offered to paint my 700. If you are going to leave it bare will you be clear coating it? And if so what would you use? I might take cone up on his offer....would jump at it if he was on the same continent.
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Sal, That reel really needs to be back in green.  ;D  Look at the kg coatings web site. There are some coatings in colors . click on them and look at the color chart. If you find one close I'll buy it and put it on. A small can is only 10.00 and will do several reels. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on March 25, 2013, 01:03:06 PM
Cone Also offered to paint my 700. If you are going to leave it bare will you be clear coating it? And if so what would you use? I might take cone up on his offer....would jump at it if he was on the same continent.
I have no idea on what type of clear coat, I was going to use the same stuff they use on cars.
Quote from: Cone on March 25, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
Sal, That reel really needs to be back in green.  ;D  Look at the kg coatings web site. There are some coatings in colors . click on them and look at the color chart. If you find one close I'll buy it and put it on. A small can is only 10.00 and will do several reels. Bob
Bob, this one was black, you already have the paint.
Honestly, I probably would clean it some more and rub some reelX all over and be done with it.
I do appreciate you wanting to paint it for me though.  Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Since it's stripped, I'd probably buff it to a chrome like finish then clear coat it.  But that's me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

Very nice Sal that would look awesome all chromed out.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

BogueSounder

On the same vein, I have a handful of 711's. They are all green except one. It came to me a few years ago after a life of abuse. Stripped it down using airplane paint remover, and lots of sanding (wear a respirator). It looked pretty good when I did it, and still looks ok. Gave it a 705 handle, new spool, drags, drag knob, new z emblem is in my parts box. It is hard to get all the imperfections out by sanding / buffing. But still great reel, and fun to do.

I fish it a few times a year. I never did clear coat or any protection other than servicing after each trip. I think Cone is right in that clear coat prob wouldn't stick to highly polished aluminum?  Little aluminum polish keeps it looking pretty nice though. Fine grade stainless steel wool helps also.

Cone, do you paint a bunch? I have a few 450 SS's that would love some tlc...

Cone

Cone, do you paint a bunch? I have a few 450 SS's that would love some tlc...

Not a bunch. I've dabbled a little. I painted a couple of my cars in the past and refinished some of my firearms/reels. I've got some gunkote I've used and bought more than I needed. I've done a spool or two with it and I'm about to redo an old Mitchell 300 and paint another spool. If you want me too I'll shoot your reels for you and bake them, no charge. I need to use this stuff up. It is Matte black but if I don't preheat the parts and lay it down wet i can get it to look glossy.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BogueSounder

Cone,
Sent you a PM, thanks,
Mark

CDShaddock

Update:  couldn't find anyone with a green similar to the original so I powder coated them glossy black. I am going to start reassembling it as soon as a few parts come in the mail. Should be a nice in-shore and jetty reel for me when done.