Penn 720/722 help

Started by CDShaddock, March 09, 2013, 04:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDShaddock

I picked up a 722 and what I believe is a 720.  I disassembled both reels to see what I had to work with. The 722 matched Alto's post.  The 720? has a different make up for retaining the pinion.  It does't have the retaining spring it looks like a bushing and there is a screw on the side which looks to me like an oil port possibly.  I have soaked it with CLP, green, and sprayed it with carb cleaner and can't seem to figure out how to get it out so I can remove the pinion and main gear so I can clean everything.  Any assistance would be great.

Cone

A link to the 720z schematic is here. https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/720z.pdf  The pinion bearing that looks like a bushing is a bronze bearing. There is a screw on the side of the body that holds it in. You need to remove the screw and it should come out. They can be tough sometimes after years of salt exsposure.  Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

CDShaddock

I imagine it must be really stuck.  I picked up these for about 7 bucks each thinking they were both 722's and I could make one worker between them.  The inside of both looked like red grease soup and I am trying to break them down and clean them to see what needs replacing.  I put the part in question back in a bath of green to soak overnight to see if that will help.  Does aluminum expand at a different rate than bronze?  I have a heat gun and could gently heat the frame some.  I don't want to crack one of these greenies though.  I don't see them very often round here.

paal

Steel bolts in aluminum that has seen a lot of salt and no maintenance over the years is fun....  :-\

If you're not in a hurry, and are willing to spend some time, I would let the assembly soak in WD40 for a couple of weeks. Then, if no succes, I would carefully and repeatedly heat it, and cool it (using one of those freeze sprays that go way below zero). The heating and cooling will produce stress forces between the two dissimilar metals, and sometimes the temperature cycling is enough to break the bond and the bolt can be removed. If not, you may at least have produced cracks in the 'junction' between the metals, and a good soaking in WD40 will allow the solvents to penerate even further and do its thing.
Last resort is to hit the bolt with a hammer, taking care not to deform the slot. Using an old screwdriver where the handle has been cut of is perfect for this shock treatment.
It's time consuming, and a labor of love :)

This is what has worked for me in the past. But I'm not an expert, and only self learned, so it would be interesting to hear what the pros do.

CDShaddock

My question now is how do I get the bearing out.  The thrust bearing and pinion prevent me from pushing it out from inside and the top is smooth so I can't grab it with a hook.  I tried prying it with a small nail through the screw hole on the side and there is no movement.  I dont want to mess up the pinion or the threads.

Cone

The bearing and pinion will have to come out of the top of the reel you can't remove it from the inside. Soaking with good penetrating oil is a start. You could heat the outside casing. Sometimes these things are impossible to get out without damaging something. You might be able to improvise something. I got a bearing out of a case one time by clamping the case in a vise. I then took a steel bar drilled a hole the size of the pinion and put it on with the pinion nut. on the outside of the bar i tapped holes for bolts and tightend them down on the vise jaws. Once it starts to move you have it whipped.
    I don't know what you have on hand to work with. I'm sure if you think about it you can find a way. Good luck. Bob

Alto Mare

Hello CDShaddock, Bob and Paal have been giving you some good advice.
Here are a couple of shots, sometimes pictures help.
Here you go

I remove the spool, housing cover, the crosswind connector(staple) and pull the spool shaft out.
I will then remove the rotor , so I could get to the screw and pull the pinion out

As Bob mentioned, the pinion slides out from the top

Good luck with that screw, let that stuff soak for a day or so and it should come out.
These are nice little reels, they're very easy to work on. Usually you can take them apart and put back together in less that 5 minutes
I had a few of these little reels and none gave the problem that you're ixperiencing. :-\
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CDShaddock

Thanks Alto.  It must be severely corroded.  I attempted to remove it again tonight with no luck.  I am going to let it soak for a few days in CLP and see if that helps.

CDShaddock

To update you on the status of is project:

I let this reel soak in a penetrating oil until just a few minutes ago.  I decided on a simple extraction method based on basic knowledge.   Took a section of 65lb spectra and doubled it then ran it through the center of the pinion and anchored or to a stainless steel washer that would fit inside the gear box.  I connected the other end to a short section of steel rebar using a cloth as a buff between the steel and threads.  Stood on the rebar and slowly and steadily deadlifted the reel...pop....broke the line.  I tried this again with 80lb mono and broke it as well.  I am going to let it soak for a few more days and brainstorm.

PS yes it broken in the middle and not at either connection point.

CDShaddock

Update:  let it sit for another week.  This time I used mule tape from my work tensil strength 1200lbs.  That did the trick.  The thing I found wasn't corrosion but instead caked on grease.  Once I removed the main gear I found more of the same.  It had the consistency of clay and was in every crevice.  Time to clean every thing and then reconcile parts and put an order in for whatever is missing.

johndtuttle

Nice!

Glad your project is proceeding  ;).

best

Cone

Glad you got it out! A regular service will keep this from ever happening again. We like pics of finished projects. <-- hint    Bob

CDShaddock

Thanks.  Just got done sanding most of the paint off.  Have it soaking in paint stripper to try and get the old paint out of the small nooks.

CDShaddock

So thoughts on whether to get the reel powder coated or just buff the aluminum to a mirror finish?