Tiagra 16 Problem

Started by Fullstrike, March 10, 2013, 11:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullstrike

I bought a Tiagra 16 3 years ago to use for jigging SBFT here in the Gloucester area.  From day one the free spool on the reel was poor when any amount of drag was applied to the reel.
I should have sent it back to Shimano but with  charters and everything else I just put it on the shelf.

Since finding this forum I have been starting to do my own servicing so I decided to give the 16 a try.  Followed the tutorial and I "think" I got it right but now the reel has excellent free spool at any drag setting but when I put it in gear I can hardly turn the handle.  Obviously I screwed it up some how. 

Before I give up and send it back to Shimano, does anyone here have a guess to what I should do to try to rectify the issue.  Being the off season I have time to play but I know I am not giving everyone much help in the diagnosis.

Thanks for helping.

Bryan Young

You need a new pinion bearing in the right sideplate.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fullstrike

Thanks Byran..If you are correct I am really pi$$ed at myself for not sending it back to Shimano as the reel was only used once since I bought it.  
Any chance you know the part number?

Thanks for the help.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

kamuwela

im possitive bryan is right.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Fullstrike on March 10, 2013, 11:37:38 PM
Thanks Byran..If you are correct I am really pi$$ed at myself for not sending it back to Shimano as the reel was only used once since I bought it.  
Any chance you know the part number?

Thanks for the help.
Shipping the reel there and back is more than the part.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fullstrike

Thanks guys...I will give it a try.  Worse comes to worse I will send it back to Shimano but I want to see if I can get it to work myself.

Robert Janssen

Quote...Followed the tutorial and I "think" I got it right... but when I put it in gear I can hardly turn the handle.  Obviously I screwed it up some how.... the reel was only used once since I bought it....but I want to see if I can get it to work myself.

Yes, it sounds as though you may have missed something, since it worked before you took it apart, but not after. Before you start ordering parts, it may be wise to go back and have a careful look inside to see that all is as it should be. Not leastly that all the washers are in the right place and order.

Fullstrike

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 11, 2013, 02:47:20 PM

Quote...Followed the tutorial and I "think" I got it right... but when I put it in gear I can hardly turn the handle.  Obviously I screwed it up some how.... the reel was only used once since I bought it....but I want to see if I can get it to work myself.

Yes, it sounds as though you may have missed something, since it worked before you took it apart, but not after. Before you start ordering parts, it may be wise to go back and have a careful look inside to see that all is as it should be. Not leastly that all the washers are in the right place and order.

The freespool on this reel was nearly non-existent (from day one)  as soon as any amount of drag was applied so that was the motivation to open it up and attempt to fix it.

Freespool seems much better now, but the reel is very difficult to crank when drag is applied.  Could be a screw up by me (most likely) or bad bearing (probable).  I will give it another shot tonight and make sure I have everything in the right place and then order the parts if it still dosent work.  Guess I better keep my day job and not apply for a tech job at Shimano yet.  ;D

kamuwela

typical symptoms of a bad pinion bearing, the more you increase the drag the harder it is to crank.