stubborn sideplate

Started by richie668, December 31, 2009, 02:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie668

Hi, I buy reels on ebay alot & on occasion  sell some too. The vast majority of the reels I buy always need something
no matter what the seller says, so I've come to expect that. My most recent was a penn 2/0. I bought it for a good price,
expecting to spend a little $ on it , change out drags,handle spool, etc. What I did not expect was a cracked left sideplate,That
The seller did not describe.So, I had to jump in my old time machine go back to 1972 & buy a new old stock plate. Unfortunatley
it sold at todays prices & cost more than I paid for the whole reel.When I got the new sideplate, it would not fit into the inner ring. I had to shave the edge down for about an hour to get the plate to fit in. I have never this happen.It fit the outer ring perfect.
I added an aluminum spool,stainless sleeve,new drags,etc. I am now very happy with this reel,and have found it in my heart to
leave positive feedback despite being hosed. As of now the seller has yet to write anything back. Thanks,Richie

alantani

that actually is a very common problem!  what happens is that the plastic swells.  you have to take a flat file and just continue to work the edges of the side plate until the ring fits.  and you're right.  it can easily take an hour.  you will never get rich fixing reels for a living!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!