Mixing

Started by RyBaker, March 13, 2013, 05:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyBaker

Hi (1st post). I was wondering if anybody had any experience mixing greases. I've consulted with my  father ("Yoda" when it comes to fixing anything or improvising, as he has been a boatbuilder and is a mechanical genius) And he seems to think that a "blend" of "certain" greases would be the most ideal for friction and corrosion. So I greased up one of the reels that I use quite frequently with this "blend" and so far everything seems to be good but I don't want to use this grease on another reel If I shouldn't be

Bryan Young

Mixing can be good and can be bad.  it depends if the mixture will interact with each other.  if it does, who knows.

So far, I have mixed mostly corrosionX with evinrude triple guard with good results.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jim

I'm sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but I'm going to leave mixing greases to the guys with advanced degrees in chemical engineering. I think they can do a better job.

Keta

Lots of lubricants are incompatible and the companies have chemists that generally know more about their properties than I do.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I takked with the guys at CorrosionX in the USA and Germany, and they said the the CorrosionX will bled well with the triple guard and the yamalube, so I'm not worrying too much.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Good to know, Bryan. I pack all my spinning reel bearings. I blend corrosion x and the Yamaha grease so they aren't as stiff. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Killerbug

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 14, 2013, 07:07:30 AM
I takes with the guys at CorrosionX in the USA and Germany, and they said the the CorrosionX will bled well with the triple guard and the yamalube, so I'm not worrying too much.

In both USA and Germany?, and did you write them and ask?. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bryan Young

I called CorrosionX in the US and was in contact with the CorrosionX in Germany where I got the CorrosionX Grease by email.

El Pescador

Cone...     and for those of you using/blending Corrosion X & Yamaha Marine Grease, what is the blending mixture? 
I remember reading Sal uses a 50/50 mix of Valvoline Red Grease and Power Steering fluid (without cleaning additives).
I have my Dad's Garcia Mitchell 300 (that he purchased in 1963) to clean and grease, and I'm looking for some direction here. 
Thanks.
Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Cone

Wayne, I don't really know. I put some grease in a cup and then add corrosion x. I stir it in and keep adding and stirring until it looks and feels right to me. It does seem to make the bearings spin easier than the straight grease.  I do keep my spinners serviced regularly. I haven't noticed a problem using the mixed grease yet. I don't normally mix the grease in my conventionals but I may start.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

bluefish69

I mix like you  by eye  but I only do this for the grease that I put in the Bridge Sleeve. I use Penn Grease & Penn Oil.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 13, 2013, 07:33:25 AMSo far, I have mixed mostly corrosionX with evinrude triple guard with good results.

I'm also cutting the triple guard marine grease, though, I'm cutting it with Inox-MX3. So far I too have had good results with it.

In the below pic, the pot on the left is lightly cut with Inox-MX3 to lighten the tackiness. It makes applying to side plates and moving parts more manageable when using a brush compared to when the grease is used 'neat' straight from the 16oz cartridge. Even though the pot on the left is 'lightly cut', the grease is still too high a viscosity to add to non spool bearings and gears teeth, hence the mixture in the white pot on the right. I've cut this with a lot more Inox oil and this mixture is specifically used for non spool bearings and gears teeth. You can see it has more of a shine to it and is marginally brighter in colour to the left hand pot.

How I mix: I gradually add Inox-MX3 to the grease which has already been spooned into a small jar/pot. Now I mix it together and continue to add more Inox until I start to 'feel' the mixture is getting to the consistency I like. Tbh, you'll know when to stop adding oil before you go too far. If you do go too far, just add a little more grease. ;)

As for mixing two different greases together; I've personally not tried it - or should I say, I haven't felt the need to.  :-\

triumphrick

I will start by saying that I would never experiment with a customers reel. I fish, so I try things out on my own gear first.

I have mixed CorrosionX with both Yamaha blue marine grease as well as Cals drag grease.

Like Bryan, I like the consistency of these greases when used in spinning reels and some Calcuttas..

I have recently added Amsoil synthetic grease to my arsenal and will be trying it out on my reels along with a thiner verision of it as well.....

Is anyone else using Amsoil? The version I use is their "marine" grade, with rust inhibitors.

Fish-aholic

Forgot to add to my post, the reason I'm cutting the thick marine grease is because I only service my friends small conventional reels e.g Daiwa saltist 20/30H, sl20/30's, Penn 525/535 and Abu 55/65/7500. The largest reel I've serviced is a Penn TRQ200, so for conventionals of those forementioned sizes, a thick tacky marine grease is not beneficial. ;)

wallacewt

hi fish-aholic
how long have you been using the inox mix
cheers