new right side plate bearing

Started by hafnor, March 14, 2013, 11:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

I have a new JM pe3 reel coming in soon. I have some serious plans on moding it up. As of now I have plans on adding a carbon fibre handle from "Clem" hopefully a new handle shaft with a carbon fibre handle knob, ceramic or hybrid spool bearings, bearing sleeve made from CF (if I can make one) larger CF washers and will also add another IAR making the reel running on two IAR. (kane at decoro fishing supplies in NZ does this)

I also want to make this reel bulletproof and wanted to get hold of an angular contact bearing for the right side plate... But I have not found one in the right dimensions. The original bearing measures od:13mm Id:5mm and Height/width: 4mm, anyone know somebody that caries it?

Irish Jigger

Perhaps  Shelby of Isutami Bearings could help.
Would a thrust bearing suit your proposed application?

Keta

On an Avet I think a thrust bearing would put too much load on the side plate and bust through, I wish someone would come up with small flanged angular contact bearings to replace pinion bearings with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

A thrust bearing would be fine if you don't over-do-it in the drag.  Just because you have a thrust bearing doesn't mean that you should try to get 50# of drag.  You should stay within range of the reel.  The true benefit is that you would not have to replace the pinion bearing as often.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

That's a good thing, whenever I work on an Avets I replace the pinion and often that's why I'm working on them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hafnor

My intention is not to get the worlds strongest reel. I simply want the angular bearing to eliminate the problems regarding pinion bearing damage in the future. It is a small reel but I think it can handle 20 pounds drag

but a thrust bearing could work as long it isn't in contact with the outside frame (ie. inside the bearing cup on the house)

here is a thrust bearing with a 1mm smaller OD than the bearing cup, making it not grind on the reelcup while rotating.... is this size the right?

But how much load can it take from the spool pinion going through titely inside the ID of the thrust bearing...

hafnor

Irish Jigger

There's more to these miniature thrust bearings than meets the eye, interesting note regarding clearances on the grooved type here.
http://www.smbbearings.com/Framesets/Thrust_Frame.htm

hafnor

hafnor

if the ID on one side of the thrust washer had a smaller ID than the other there wouldn't be any issues.... But I will try to order one or two. Chrome or stainless?

Robert Janssen

Sorry for late arrival. Noticed this thread and it piqued my interest for some reason, along with all the other bearing threads popping up all of a sudden. It has been at the back of my mind all day; just haven't had time to reply. There was something needed to be considered, but i just can't put my finger on it... Get back later.

I found your angular contact bearing, 5 x 13 x 5. I'll get back with more info on that.

About your axial bearings, you can get them a lot closer to home at kullagergrossisten.se for example. Maybe cheaper as well. I think i have one in my pocket too, if that helps.

paal

Thor, it's very interesting what you are trying to do. I've been through this whole process too, many times, in my head. It would be so simple with a couple of angular bearings of the correct size.... Please post results when you find a solution :)

paal

Quote from: hafnor on March 15, 2013, 11:59:33 AM
if the ID on one side of the thrust washer had a smaller ID than the other there wouldn't be any issues.... But I will try to order one or two. Chrome or stainless?
Do you mean bearings with a higher chromium content? I think they are supposed to be more corrosion resistant (and expensive)...

Robert Janssen

Right, then...

Okay- i think what was buggin' me, is that the JM PE reels use first the pinion bearing, on the inside of the right side plate... okay... which is opposed by the bearing on the other side, in the lever. It seems to me that both bearings share the load equally. So in order for your idea to work as planned, it would be neccessary to replace both bearings with an AC bearing of the size you suggested.

Or perhaps i am mistaken, or misunderstood something?

In any case, the bearing you desire can be found at NSK Micro Precision, called MTA0513. And yes, stainless steel.

And as an added bonus, i can mention that the JM PE5 has a slightly larger bearing- 6 x 17 x 6, which is available at VXB.

Doc.

Robert Janssen

And, about the axial bearings, weeeelll... a few things. First, making a small cup holder to adapt the axial bearings OD from 10 to 13 mm and fitting the sideplate or housing is not particularly difficult. So, that is not a problem.

But, axial bearings can take little or no radial force. Using or letting the axial bushing act as a radial bushing might not work as well as you'd hoped.

Somewhere in there there should be a radial bearing to keep things in alignment. Or, an angular contact bearing...

EDIT: Found the post regarding small AC bearings:

Quote from: madday on February 11, 2013, 02:01:20 AM
found this angular bearing today....
http://www.origin.co.jp/product/up_file/ja/200704091.pdf