Small pinion gear. Shimano TLD? TRITON?

Started by Johnnybahamas, March 14, 2013, 09:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybahamas

First post so I must first of all thank all of you. i have been a lurker and learned a lot so far but now I am stumpted.

I bought two (What I thought) TLDs reels at a yard sale. One reel sounded and felt like a coffee grinder but bought both for cheap.

I didnt "need" them but they were cheap. I am coming up on a trip to the Tortugas with several family members from up north who I am suppoling the gear for so I decided to try to fix the "grinder"

i read where most likely it was the right sideplate bearing. I purchased a bearing from a guy on ebay who just happens to be about a mile from my house and has 8000 items mostly reel parts.

When I took reel apart I found the bearing to be fine but the pinion looked to be "chewed"up.

It got a TLD 25 pinion from ebay guy and what I found was the pinion was too big. The hole was too big, the lenght was too big and the diameter was too big.

I took it back to the ebau guy along with the reel and found that all his TLD pinions were too big. He then said "is that a Triton?" I dont know but I did see a faint Tri.... on the reel. He had a triton rightside plate that was stuck to the spool via neglect that he gave me and said pry all that apart and try the pinion inside..

Guess what, too big. I tried to replace the drag plate and the pinion from the other triton but the shaft was too thin and it didn't work.

My question is where can I find a thin smallish pinion?

thanks again

Bryan Young

Can you post pics of the reel and the parts in question?

here are picture posting instructions if needed.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2349.0

Maybe a Shimano Charter Speical?  Does it have a line guide?  The charger special model numbers start with a TR

and
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Johnnybahamas

I am currently at work and away from the reel.

I will post some tonight.

The reel looks just like all my other TLD 25s.

Made in Japan on the bottom. not a charter. no line guide. I own 5 TLD 25s and a speedmaster. I have taken them all apart and other than the speedmaster they all looked the same on the inside.

The reel in question just has smaller shaft and pinion. same width side by side the same.

thank you for the reply

Bryan Young

Just out of curiosity, if someone has a TLD25 and a charter special, would you pull the pinion gears out and post a pic for comparison as i cannot think of any ther reel that looks like the TLD with a small pinion...but I'm not that old...just kidding, I am that old, I just loosing my reel memory. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Johnnybahamas

picture of reel. It says TLD 25 but shaft is thinner and pinion smaller

Johnnybahamas

Bryan Young

I have no idea.  Maybe an older...older version.  May want to contact Shimano directly.  They may have a replacement part number for you.  If you are in the US, may be a good idea to send it in to Shimano and have them figure it out, then when you get the reel back, do your full service.  I notice that when I send the reel into Shimano, all the grease is cleaned off altogether.

Johnnybahamas

So strange. Why is it always me that has to be special?

So no one else has ran into this problem?