hoping for help on handle/rotor play in 3500 certate.

Started by wilfish4774, March 14, 2013, 11:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfish4774

I have been using a 3500 certate for the past 3 or 4 years.  It is used rather heavily for light tackle inshore jigging for pompano. Recently the pinion and the handle bearings were replaced however there still exists play between the handle and the rotor..  I have checked my other (newer) daiwa certate and it has no such play so I am hoping that someone within this site might have an idea as to what my next move might be to tighten this condition up..  thanks

wilfish4774

additionally,, this "play" between the handle and the rotor doesn't seem to affect the actual mechanics of the reel.

Cone

I'm gonna go out on a limb. Without seeing the reel, I'm guessing you've got wear on the main gear. Did you replace the pinion? What was the reason?  Bob
I just reread the post. You replaced the bearings. I still say its got to be gear wear. You can open it up and look at the gears. There should be wear marks on the main, pinion or both if it is.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

thedw

actually this play is fairly common in almost if not all spin reels.

the stella has it
so does my certate hyper

nelz

I believe that reel uses a hex cross-bar to attach the handle? It could be the hole in the main gear has widened a bit. Just a guess. Easy enough to test for though.