NARROW PENN 114

Started by john2244, March 15, 2013, 07:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

Several weeks ago I asked Bob (Cone) if he would be interested in helping me with a project I wanted to start.  Bob volunteered without hesitation !!  The idea came from George (George 4741) when he started his "Grouper Special" project with the Penn 113 black side plate reel.  Both George and I like narrow low-geared reels.  In one of George's post he made a comment about a narrow 114 black side plate reel.  I had an extra Penn 114 reel and a narrow Tiburon 114H frame and spool.  The frame would fit the 114 fine but the problem was finding a narrow spool to fit the Penn 114 reel.  As you know, the 114H reel has bearings and the 114 reel has busings so the spools are not interchangeable.  I sent Bob my narrow 114H aluminum spool and he "machined down" the spool's spindle/shaft to the specs of a 114 spool.  Bob did an EXCELLENT JOB and the spool turned out perfert.

Some stats are:

Aluminum spool........7  1/2 oz.....2  11/32" wide
Chrome/brass spool...15 oz..........2  27/32" wide

Original Penn 114 reel with chrome spool........................49 1/2 oz
New NARROW Penn 114 reel with aluminum spool/frame...42 oz

The weight of the post and stand vs. the Tiburon frame is about the same.

On my last fishing trip one of the boats "trolling rig for Wahoo" was a 6' roller rod matched to a Penn 114 black side plate reel.  I asked one of the crew about the reel and he stated " it has held up very well and it is easy to reel in a Wahoo using that reel".

Below are some pics for your review.

John

ShoreKasterHI

Beautiful! Like that all black look  :o Are the plates that i am sending you going on that reel?

Alto Mare

Beautiful job guys. John that reel might be the only one around.
Bob always does a great job, he has done a couple of projects for me as well....good guy.

since we're on the spool shaft subject, I noticed that most Newell spools for the Squidder and Jigmaster are tight on those.
Usually when you pull the right side plate, the spool comes with it. You could enlarge the bushing, but this option is easier and much better.I do not have a lathe as some of you guys, all I do is chuck up the spool on a drill and hold the other end of the shaft between sandpaper and let it spin. I keep testing and when it's close I use 2000 grit sandpaper with a drop of oil to finish. Free spool also improves quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing guys ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

NICE!

When the cutter calls I will have SS dogs for your reel if you plan on putting a SS gear sleeve in it.  I have some now that were cut at the wrong angle so I reshaped them and they are a bit short, they might work for a double dog project.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

John, thats a good looking reel. Thanks for the pic. It's nice to see how it turned out. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

john2244

Brian,
Your plates are for a second reel I want to put together. I think I will have all the parts when your plates arrive.

Lee,
I do have a SS sleeve in this reel and will put one in my next reel.  I would be interested in buying 4 SS dogs.

John

Keta

As soon as they are cut I'll let you know.  I just ordered a bunch of Newell parts this morning and hopefully the extra pieces will expedite the cutting, the last batch took over a month.  I'll toss in some of the short ones NC to see if they work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain