servicing reels

Started by fastfishin85, May 25, 2013, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfishin85

whats a very fair price to totally service a baitcaster(8 shimano curado bantams,1 abu Garcia 6500 cl3)The reels are reel dirty but don't need major work,thanks

kamuwela

Question is what is your time worth. I charge $40 flat rate, I win some
and lose some. keep in mind i do mostly large lever drags

Zimbass

The average amongst the bass guys for this type of reel would be between $15 and $20.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

bluefish69

I get $30 for Newell's 200 - 400 series. New drags included - other parts EXTRA

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fastfishin85

thanks guys,im gonna go 10.00 bucks a reel,its one of my dads friends and he said whatever it is it is,but just wanted to be more than fair,they need no parts,just a cleaning on the outside and opened up and bearings serviced,i dony have to go crazy on grease on the inside,he strictly uses them for freshwater fishing,thanks again guys

Alto Mare

I do mine as a hobby and service some  friend's  reels for free. I hope that at $15, you guys are not doing them for a living, that sounds cheap to me. I would think $30 for a complete break down is fair. Be careful you don't drop that reel:-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fastfishin85

ya im not doing it as a living,i just enjoy being a reelhead and end up doing all my friends reels as well,usually for free if no parts are needed,my dads friend didn't want me doing it for free that's why I asked what a very fair price would be

alantani

conventionals take 15 minutes to an hour, lever drags take 30 minutes to an hour, spinners (ugghhhh) take an hour.  figure out what your time is work and charge accordingly.  it's more about how many bearings there are and how deep they are. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

It's a hobby for me so I service star drag conventional and spinning reels for $20, lever drags for $40, all parts extra. I cut my friends a break (variable). Keeps my tackle box full and new line on the reels. If they take me fishing, it's a trade. ;D  

And I'm not as fast or efficient as Alan. :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

In many cases, price for bait casters depends on the number of bearings need to be opened and greased. All reels are serviced the same irrespective if its for use in freshwater or saltwater. The reason is I only have limited tackle and my reels have to serve double duty.

Additionally, not all star drag reels or lever drags are alike. For example, toriums take a little longer than a jigmaster, and prices are adjusted accordingly.

And there is what I call the mercy charge. This is when I say to myself, "please have mercy on me". These are reels that are extremely corroded where the reels are soaked in fresh water, then cleaned with simple green, then soaked in vinegar or CLR to remove the corrosion and hope the reel is repairable. These take a lot of extra time and energy. It comes down to, is the reel worth the effort and that is when discussion between me and the reel owner occurs.

Then there are normal upgrades that are always performed, such as greased carbon fiber drags. Open spool bearings lubed with TSI301, and greased non spool bearings. Reels with level wind assemblies are normally disassembled, cleaned and lubed with TSI301,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rodman

I live down under and service reels for $20 aus + parts
It is a hobby and pays for my fishing and boating habit

Ken
Frazorodz
Rods & Reelz Repairz

Mandelstam

Man, sounds like I'll have to get in to this reel repair business. If it can help pay for my tackle and fishing trips my wife would be more than happy... I'll just have to get some more rebuilds and restoration projects under my belt first... :)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Joel.B

I get anywhere from  twelver or case per reel depending on what it is and what it needs. Some of the bigger messes can bring in a good bourbon or old scotch......