Increasing the drag in an Avet

Started by AJFISH13, March 15, 2013, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

That's the one that fails.  I've even seen them crack the outer race when drooped under a load.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AJFISH13

So replacing the right main side plate bearing with angular contact bearings seems to be the best solution to fixing the probblem. I will definitely look into that. So I need a heavy return spring for my drag pressure plate too or would angular contact bearings alone fix my problem?

alantani

not sure if you need both, but i would take one step at a time.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJFISH13

Well I am going to do some more research on angular contact bearings try finding ones that will replace the pinion bearings test it out and let everyone know how that works. On a side note, I was working on my Avet SX and Im having trouble attaching the dog(#31 in the diagram) to the connection arm(#25 in the schematic) the pointed end of the connection arm keeps on popping out of the hole in the dog. Can someone put up a picture of how its supposed to be set up I should have taken a picture of it while I was working on it.

Clem

Hey guys,

I have ordered a few from VXB to try, 6x17x6...perfect fit for the RH plate on the Alutecnos 12C and the newer 6v..will let you know how they go. SMB advised that I give there MC5 range a go also, they have sent some samples for me to try..a little more radial play..

Robert Janssen

Oh, good.

I guess we'll see then, how/if things improve with an AC bearing. I found a couple of manufacturers with the correct size, but it will be interesting to see what they say when one actually tries to order them. I'm not quite satisfied with the contact angle though- it is all told perhaps not entirely different than that of a single-row deep groove radial ball bearing with loose tolerances and side load.

It will also be interesting to see how much of a difference they really do offer in terms of rolling resistance. I've mentioned before, that the rolling resistance felt in a ball bearing under side load is completely normal.

Anyway, I'm still wondering about the fit between the pinion bore and shaft- is it a snug slip fit, or loose?

Depending on this, and a few other details, it may be fully possible to use the regular, inexpensive thrust ball bearings.

AJFISH13

OK we have been extremely busy doing other side projects in my engineering class however we have now gotten back to this to finish the year out and I need some clarification before I proceed. Would the thrust bearing be going under the current pinion bearing as in I would have to pop out the old pinion bearing and place in the thrust bearing then replace the pinion bearing? Or would it be placed on top of the current pinion bearing? I know someone said the current pinion bearing would be free floating in an axial direction please clarify? Also, if I were to use the 5x10x4 thrust bearing from vxb would I have to bore out room in the side plate or not? Thank you very much for all of your help hopefully I will be able to give you guys a finished product and a modification that everyone can make to their Avet SX.

Clem

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 24, 2013, 09:55:40 PM

Oh, good.

I guess we'll see then, how/if things improve with an AC bearing. I found a couple of manufacturers with the correct size, but it will be interesting to see what they say when one actually tries to order them. I'm not quite satisfied with the contact angle though- it is all told perhaps not entirely different than that of a single-row deep groove radial ball bearing with loose tolerances and side load.

It will also be interesting to see how much of a difference they really do offer in terms of rolling resistance. I've mentioned before, that the rolling resistance felt in a ball bearing under side load is completely normal.

Anyway, I'm still wondering about the fit between the pinion bore and shaft- is it a snug slip fit, or loose?

Depending on this, and a few other details, it may be fully possible to use the regular, inexpensive thrust ball bearings.

Hi Robert,

Just to update this one, I cant say that I feel much difference with an AC on the pinion...I have some MC5's on the way for the spool and left side so will see how they go. :)

Keta

An angular contact bearing would replace the current pinion bearing, a thrust bearing should contact the inter race of the factory deep grove pinion bearing.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AJFISH13

But would the thrust bearing be placed underneath the pinion bearing or would it be placed on the side where the pinion gear goes into? Thats what confusing me.

Keta

Between the side plate and the inter race.

Mark Twain

AJFISH13

So I would have to pop out the pinion bearing bore out whatever room necessary for the thrust bearing place in the thrust bearing then replace the pinion bearing?

Keta

Mark Twain

AJFISH13

Why wouldnt you modify the shaft would I need to bore out extra room in the sideplate to accomodate the thrust bearing or no?