5600C4 yoke wear

Started by Haifisch, March 15, 2013, 06:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haifisch

I have a reel on the desk for the second time, same trouble, the pinion has worn into the plastic yoke far enough that the reel won't release to free spool without some finagling. I replaced the gear, pinion  and yoke, 9 months to the day, it is back with the same problem? Any known cure or problem with these reels?

Ken_D

Quote from: Haifisch on March 15, 2013, 06:37:54 PM
I have a reel on the desk for the second time, same trouble, the pinion has worn into the plastic yoke far enough that the reel won't release to free spool without some finagling. I replaced the gear, pinion  and yoke, 9 months to the day, it is back with the same problem? Any known cure or problem with these reels?

Hio, were the the original, and any replacement yokes, white?

Haifisch

Ken_D

Quote from: Haifisch on March 15, 2013, 07:29:54 PM
nope, black yokes

Weird....all the trouble I've heard about were the latest white yokes.  Anyway: take a magnified look at the bottom the pinion where it mates the yoke. Up here, all the 6.3-1 pinions had sharp edges on the bottom, which in effect, ream and drill away on the bottom of the yoke.  Unsure if Abu's fixed this yet.

I have not had a failure (up this way) after I switched from white yokes to black. I am planning on experimenting shimming the yoke bottom using the shim from the driveshaft of a 7000, later in the season: july or august.

Haifisch

Well, I did burnish the edge of the pinion this time before putting on the new yoke. Didn't really notice any burrs on the edge under a glass. Guess we will see if it cures it this time.  The guy has 2 5600C4s and only this one has done this?

Ken_D

I'll check with Purefishing and see if they have had any come back on warranty, and ask if they have noted a cause.  kd.

Ken_D

I sent my friend down in Abbotsford, who operates a Canadian abu warranty center, and he sent me this:  

Quote: "Yep. I have seen this over and over on some reels. It seems the bottom of the 'gear' portion in the pinion, just above where the yoke rides, is not beveled and as such creates a sawing action on the yoke.

I stick the in the lathe and bevel the underside if the gear a bit to get rid of those sharp edges.
Not sure if it was just one or two runs of them as only certain reels have the issue.

Taking the edge off the gear puts it back to 'normal'.
This was only seen in the latest 46,56 & 66 C4's from what we have seen."  End quote.  

So, if you changed out the gears, sounds like you got another iffey one.   I'll post any reply from Purefishing after they open on monday.