Jigging/Bottom-bumping-multi-purpose reel ?? w/requirements

Started by Reel Stamas, January 01, 2010, 07:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Stamas

Alan, 1st I'm new here & it's an awesome site & thanks... My main ? is re-your thoughts on the Shimano Torsa & Talica... I'm looking for a reel that will be versatile & allow me to jig & bottom-fish in 100-300' & maybe handle live-baiting or chunking for tuna, etc... I also want a reel that my local shop can/will service & they are currently authorized by Shimano, Penn, & Fin-Nor... but not Avet or Alutecnos... I have Penn Torque Stars that are adequate, but I'm thinking the Drag Cams on the Torsa or the 2spd f(x) on the Talica would offer some 'cool' advantages... What are your thoughts about these reels & do you have any other recs?

alantani

the shimano reels are great, but so very expensive.  take a look at the penn baja special post.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.0  it is a very humble reel that packs a real punch.  with a 6/0 kolekar grip, it is a real powerhouse!  if money is not object, then any one of several two speed lever drags would work very well.  i really like the shimano tyrnos for a small two speed lever drag reel.  again, a larger handle grip really adds alot to this reel.  the important thing is to service the reel first and fish it within reasonable drag specs.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel Stamas

I just bought a pair of Senator 4/0 113MTL(s) for back-up reels... What should I do to them to max out there potential ? I plan to fish 80lb braid & use them for bottom-fishing grouper...

alantani

janz wrote a nice review http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=553.0  i have never opened one up.  i'd start by greasing the drag washers.  i am certain that they are dry.   :-\

Russ57

Alan, can one still buy the baja special?  If not, what do you like for a grouper/bottom fishing reel at a reasonable price?  I'll be fishing gulf of mexico if it matters.  Snappers and amberjack in addition to grouper.  Light weight would be a plus but I would put up with it for the baja special (I think).

Russ

alantani

they can still be found.  the baja special is nice because it has stainless steel gears. the other senators do not. 

tedg

Just to let you know, Charkbait is selling the Penn Baja.  I have two of them I really like them.
Ted

alantani

bob

Russ57

Thanks guys I just ordered one from charkbait.  Looking things over it looks like the all metal senators have the same stainless gears.  Do they have the dual dogs too?  That was the bigger selling point for me....I hate them anti-reverse bearings.

I was thinking of a saltist but I'm glad I found out about the cast parts and the boss for the anti-reverse shearing off.  I can do without that nonsense.

alantani

Quote from: Russ57 on January 18, 2010, 07:40:37 PM
Thanks guys I just ordered one from charkbait.  Looking things over it looks like the all metal senators have the same stainless gears.  Do they have the dual dogs too?  That was the bigger selling point for me....I hate them anti-reverse bearings.

I was thinking of a saltist but I'm glad I found out about the cast parts and the boss for the anti-reverse shearing off.  I can do without that nonsense.

yup, double dogs!  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/113mtl.pdf

and regarding the saltist, those were my thoughts exactly.  alan