which spool came on penn 113hl with solid chrome bars?

Started by Joel.B, March 17, 2013, 03:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

was it a special model that had the fat chrome bars?

Cone

A 113hl would have came with an aluminum spool. The hl means high speed (bearings), light weight (aluminum spool). The spacer bars are considered the same as posts when looking up parts. Then there is half frames and full frames. There have been quite a few different models over the years and someone I'm sure will chime in and fill in or correct me soon. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

RowdyW

Quote from: Joel.B on March 17, 2013, 03:59:19 AM
was it a special model that had the fat chrome bars?
Hi Joel, the chrome barred models were on the anniversery models & had a red aluminum spool. Other HL models had black bars & black aluminum spools. So many of these reels have had parts swapped around over the years its hard to tell which are original.   Rudy

Joel.B

Cone

The anniversary special reels also came with ss gears from Penn. Of coarse they may have been changed. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

RowdyW

Bob, the gears in the anniversary models are steel but I don't know if it has been determined for sure if it is stainless steel or a high grade heat treated steel. Time for a metalurgest to determine it for sure. Your right that they didn't have bronze gears in those models.     Rudy

john2244

Rudy,
Interesting point.  I have some of the anniversary reels/boxes and there is no comment on the box about the gears.  I think at one time Sal posted a picture of a Penn box with a comment about SS gears (I think). I do not remember the details regarding his post.

John

Cone

John, I believe Sal posted a pic a while back of a catalog page for the anniversary reels. It said SS gears. I don't know if it was printed on the box. Bob