Newell handle nut

Started by Rickman, March 17, 2013, 04:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

Hola,
Just lost the handle nut on a Newell 332-5....right into the water. Anyone know what size they are or where to order them? This is the second one that has popped off. Lost the first one too. Should I use something to keep them from loosening?

Bryan Young

Send Alan a pm. He had a bunch made up since Newell is no longer around.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

If tightened properly the nut should not come off. When you get a new nut from Alan make sure you turn the star tight. This will allow the 3-16 washer to rest against the sholder on the bridge sleeve. This is the washer between the star and the handle. After making sure the washer is in place then add the handle and the the plastic washer and then tighten the nut down. It should not move after that.

If you have the model with the screw in the end of the bridge sleeve, then in a rare case the nut is hitting that screw and you find the reel does not work correctly and you loosen it a little. This is where a nut can work loose and fall off. If this is the case then you will need two 3-16 washers to prevent the nut from hitting the screw head when tightening. This is the case on one of mine and is easy to fix. Alan has the 3-16 washers also.

Rickman

Bryan...Alan has me hooked up!

Newell Nut.....thanks for the tightening advice!
Rick

Rickman

And, A big thanks to Alan for getting these things made up!
Rick

Newell Nut

Rick

If you have any more trouble come on back. This site can fix it.

Dwight

Newell Nut

Have you finished your project? I just bought another S338-5 and after rebuilding it the nut was hitting the bridge sleeve screw so I fixed it by adding an additional 3-16 washer as described above and now the nut is tight and the reel works perfect.