Talking BS about 114H reels.

Started by Keta, March 18, 2013, 05:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

"Blow up" turns out to be clicker issues, one time he said it locked the reel up,  He said he does not leave the clicker on all of the time.  I don't know whom services his reels but he said they are done annually.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

dogtagger

Interesting topic, I've been using black 114s for years sharking in Maine and have caught a boat load of sharks to 300+ pounds. Never a problem with the 114s. I usually fish them with 60 lb mono, and have found the standard five stack drag enough to break line if your not careful, but the reels keep on ticking after 20+ years. In fact I'm on my 3rd rod with them-- one broke on a very large shark and the others just go tired... The clickers might not last if they are left engaged during the fight, but who wants to listen to that racket anyway...

I'll post some pics when I get a chance of a recent upgrade on a 114 to an aluminum Penn half frame. Not really needed, but as we all know its lots of fun to play with these reels.

RowdyW

Who but a novice could burn down a clicker? He should check in on the internet at Fishing 101. Somebody should tell him the clicker is an alarm (& not for a morning wake up call).   ;D ;D ;D

Ron Jones

Come on now, there is NO BETTER alarm than ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for blow up, when I was a kid my grandfather hooked into a bass in San Diego that had a 5 gallon bucket for a mouth. The Jigmaster literally exploded. Sounded like a shotgun and the spool fell out the frame where the side plate used to be. I don't see that happening on a Senator of any size.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

How many times did it blow up?  I've caught a lot of our 25-35 pound albacore on a much lighter built 113H and have never had problems.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Ok Gentlemen, I think we have exhausted the rant on this topic.  People have different opinions, where their based on fact or fiction, it's their opinion.  It is us who choose to believe or turn the other way and allow that person to sound uneducated.  Besides, the more bad press he spreads on these reels, the cheaper they will become for us to buy. ;D

In any event, I am locking this topic before one of us says something we will regret. :o
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hopefuly I'll get my hands on his reel next time.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

hahaha, I forgot, this was started by a moderator, and locking posts does not apply to moderators.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Mark Twain